Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New Rifle project, need input! >

New Rifle project, need input!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Rifle project, need input!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Rifle project, need input!

I'm not sure your stated project fits in the arch typical "mountain rifle" (fly weight) category but I sure like the sound of your components, including cartridge selection.

Honoring your stated criteria,and preference for RUM's then a300 RUM, hands down.
If you feel it necessary, then you can always throttle backthe loadsa little.

A 375 RUM while a great cartridge, generally falls outside most folks mountain rifle "model" based on associated weight.
A 338 RUM is too close to your existing 338WinMag (though it is superior).
A Super .30, like the 300 RUM, should be a nice addition and fill an empty spot inyour rack of rifles and should be superlative for goats.

This all presumes that you are not infected with the recoil sensitivity disease and know the fundamentals of proper recoil management versus relying on the old "school of hard knocks" (literally) and theall too typical result of "wondering what happened."

Footnote: the aforementioned 7mmSTW is a worthy consideration and has the wonderful bonus of not being a magnum.
Again, though, it is not what you asked for.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks guys,

Long action vs short action in the rem 700 amounts to about 3 oz. so the short action is lighter argument doesn't fly with me. I'm certain my 6.5-284 that I built last year would fit the bill terrifically. I just want to build something. I may not even take it on my goat hunt. But, I'm definately leaning toward the 300 RUM 26 inch tube and all. Scoped the gun should weigh in about 7.5-8 lbs, just about right.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Long action vs short action in the rem 700 amounts to about 3 oz. so the short action is lighter argument doesn't fly with me.
Worry aboutthe ounces and the pounds take care of themselves. Along with less weight with the shorterreceiver a short action cartridge doesn't require as long of a barrel, the ammo doesn't weigh as much, then use light weight rings and bases, with a compact scope and you save a pound or two.

If I were hunting on jagged rocks at 12,000 feet in elevation I know I would be worrying about every single ounce.

I may not even take it on my goat hunt. But, I'm definately leaning toward the 300 RUM 26 inch tube and all. Scoped the gun should weigh in about 7.5-8 lbs, just about right.
Sounds to me that you are wanting two completely different rifles for two completely different purposes.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:12 PM

I like my new 300 RUM with new trigger and 2" add on the barrel b/c of the break,wouldn't want to shoot it with out it,now it has the recoil of a 243 win. but I want the 375 RUM ,I grabed one my buddy had on a hunt when a black bear tryed to eat the other end of my moose I was cutting on .It flopped him head over heals twice befor landing dead. Now I want my own for grizz and moose,I would take the 30 cal for goats,sheep and elkand the like .

[/align]
Old 02-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well after reading all the post I am surprised no one said anything about a .270wsm. I bought the first one sold at my gun shop and I just love it. I wishI would have waited for a ruger in that calibur,but oh well. I think if you would give it a try you would like it. I got a browning A-Bolt and its ok but I am a die hard ruger fan. At least check it out!!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well after reading all the post I am surprised no one said anything about a .270wsm.
Keep in mind I already have a 280 rem, 338 win, 6.5-284, 270 wsm, 300 wsm,270 win, &30-06. I know, i Know one of those would be plenty but I want something different.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Yeah,
Carefully reading the thread initiators original post and first one or two clarifying posts helps eliminate many off topic rabbit holes. Otherwise everyone has a sentimental favorite.

On the other hand, I've missed a detail or two in my day.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I did miss that! In that case how about a big bore, 45/70? 45/110?
The 45/70 has been very fun to load for and shoot. It can be a lion or a mouse,depends on your taste.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Typical Buck

7mm STW, shoots flat to 400 yrds then you have to hold over 4" for 500 yrds. few flatter. good luck. also may wanna try a Hart bbl.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: SILVERTIP-CO

7mm STW, shoots flat to 400 yrds then you have to hold over 4" for 500 yrds. few flatter. good luck. also may wanna try a Hart bbl.
7mm stw is great, but doesn't 7 RUM outperform it? Have used Hart bbl before. They are great, no doubt. Shilen, Kreiger,Hart, & othersI can't think of at the moment. They all make excellent barrels, Douglas Is an excellent barrel as well.

Quick Reply: New Rifle project, need input!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.