Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Rifle Project! >

New Rifle Project!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Rifle Project!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 AM

Default New Rifle Project!

I'm excited. I've been wondering what my next project rifle would be. It finally came to me. I feel that its a stroke of genius, of course. So tell me what you all would think of an all blued25-06 ackley improved stocked in a really nice piece of walnut. Rem 700 action squared and trued. Douglas premium air guaged chrome moly barrel. Jewell trigger. Pillar and glass bedded.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Rifle Project!

Sounds like it would be a nice project. You can send it down here after you get it built and we'll test it out for you. LOL
Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great idea. Let me share MY project. 375 ruger necked down to 7mm in a ruger #1 action with AAAA grade turkish walnut with a lilja barrel shaped to featherweight contour octagon barrel 26-28" long and a leupold 4.5x-14x scope or nikon 4x-16x.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Please forgive my ignorance but what does 'ackley improved' mean? I have seen this before with a 280.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:42 PM

CMA,

I've had very good luck with Douglas barrels. I think they are the equivalent to the shilens and Kreger's I've used.

I like the matte stainless with matte blued reciever as well. But for this project I want gloss blued. Personal taste.

Whitehorn,

Ackley Improved generally speaks of pushing the shoulder forward, increasing the shoulder angle, and minimizing the body taper of the cartridge. Most if not all Ackley's can be fireformed by shooting factory ammo for the parent cartridge in the "improved" chamber. Afterwards you size your brass with a "improved" sizer and now you have a case that has more case volume which in theory should allow more powder and greater velocities. The beauty is that if you must it is perfect acceptable to simply fire factory ammo through the "improved" rifle, so in essence I would have a 25-06 & a 25-06 A.I. all in one rifle.

I own a 280 and it has been my long time favorite cartridge. I've thought multiple times of rebarreling it to the "improved" chamber, but never have. I've also had a affinity for the 25-06, So in a brain storm I thought it would be a perfect oppurtunity to build it as well as My Ackley Improved rifle. Its a strong belief of mine that my gun cabinet isn't quite full because I don't have an Ackley cartridge in it.

Please don't ask what I intend to use this rifle for. Because I just don't have a good answer. I have other rifles that are equal if not superior to it for almost every quarry. I'm sure my wife will ask that dreaded question at some point. So between now and then I may need some help coming up with a good answer. So far all I've come up with is: "because (our son) took my 270 WSM." Never mind that I didn't need the 270 when I bought it.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM

I am looking for a "in-betweener" for the Savage 223 Predator Hunter and the Remington 30-06 SPS?
The question is 243 or 270?
I do not want to sacrific accuracy when using either 45 gr or 110 gr loads?
Ruger M77 Hawkeye, "new" Winchester 70 or "new" Browning X-bolt?

...still green and grow'in..............E.J.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got to love the quarter bores and the A.I. That has all the makings for a sweet piece.You know it's not what you need it's what you want anyway.......