Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New Rifle project, need input! >

New Rifle project, need input!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

New Rifle project, need input!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:06 AM

Default New Rifle project, need input!

Okay,

I'm bored, so I'm planning a new big game rifle project. I'm going to build it on a Rem 700 action with a Douglas match grade barrel. Those are the only decisions I've made. So I need some input.

I'm considering the Ultra Mags. I don't own one, so its high time to rectify that situation. I'm considering the 300, 338, & 375 Ultra's.

The first hunt I will use this weapon onis a Mountain goat hunt, beyond that who knows. Sheep, Moose, Caribou, Bear areall possibilities.

The 338 Ultra doesn't improve on my 338 win mags performance significantly, but I guess 100 FPS could help. The 375 looks good, and I could use it in Africa if I ever go.

I don't know the 300 is sweet though. I know any of them will be plenty of weapon regardless of what I decide to hunt. I mean game animals aren't nearly as tough as some want to make them out to be. But, I would like a good anchoring shot on a mountain goat to keep it from making that final leap into oblivion that can ruin the coat and horns.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Default RE: New Rifle project, need input!

So,

If youwhere going on a mountain goat hunt in '08 and possibly a Dall sheep hunt in '10 and you where able to build any caliber rifle you wanted for this hunt what would you build? Keep in mind I already have a 280 rem, 338 win, 6.5-284, 270 wsm, 300 wsm,270 win, &30-06. I know, i Know one of those would be plenty but I want something different.

I'm think something light wieght, stainless, HS precision stock..... This will be a "mountain" rifle, but I want some punch.So let 'er fly boys, give me somegood ideas.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

First, let me say that I am a huge winchester cartridge fan. Having said that, have you ever considered the 325wsm? I have owned one for two years and I shoot A LOT. It is quite possibly the flattest large bore rifle I have ever shot.

As far as the stock, do some checking around, but before you buy....pick up and hold a thumb-hole stock. Kinda weird looking, but will improve accuracy ten-fold. Basically, due to the thumb-hole, you can apply trigger-pressure in an inline motion, versus the slight "up-pull?" of a traditional stock....think about it. I bought one for my 270wby mountain rifle and love it.....definitely have to get used to its looks though...IMHO
Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you already have the 338wm and a 300 WSM I would go for the 375. I don't know that I would use it for the mountain gt hunt though. Just to have another gun, a 375 would be my choice.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Inactive

May i suggest you contact RidgeRunner - he's a member here. He has just built a custom long range rifle, and from the sounds of things - it's a humdinger. Try pm'g him and maybe get his input. He's very knowledgeable in these matters. Use my name if you wish.

Good luck with whatever you choose - it a rifle you will cherish for a long time.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your thinking the 300RUM then I wouldassume your planning on a 26" tube? If so another to consider that will produce similar numbers is the 7mm stw. While it may lack the punch that the 300 delivers it will still handle moose if that is your desire and should be darn near perfect for goat and sheep hunts you have planned.

If wanting bigger the 375H&H or RUM would give you a step in the direction for africa!

Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

If youwhere going on a mountain goat hunt in '08 and possibly a Dall sheep hunt in '10 and you where able to build any caliber rifle you wanted for this hunt what would you build?
Well it dang sure wouldn't be an ultra mag, H&H mag or anything remotely close.

Mountain goat / Dall sheep hunting requires a completely different rifle than Grizzly bear / moose hunting. I wouldn't even be considering building one rifle to serve both purposes.

Considering the game you will be hunting and the terrain that they live in I would opt for a short action cartridge anddrop it into an ultra lite stock from HS or McMillan.

Since youalready load for the 6.5-284I would consider the .284 Winchesterlaunching something like a 140 grain TSX at 3000+ fps. I know it would essentially duplicate what the .280 would do but it would be in a short receiver and a shorterbarreland every ounce counts when you are hunting 12,000+ feet in elevation.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Well this probally won't fly but here goes. I too would go with a short action and a light rifle. Your gonna be going up and down mountains a lot more than you'll be shooting. Then the game is sheep and goats. Never shot either but can't imagine their that hard to put ringh down with the right shot. I think I'd build something along the line's of the Win Featherweight and chamber it in a 260 Rem with a 22" barrel. Put on a 2-7x scope too. Built it with a 1-8" twist and shoot 125gr and heavier bullet's.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 PM

just my .02, but i would build it in a 7mm cartridge, very nice round for sheep and goats, and i also use it on moose, very effective, and would be great on african plains game too
Old 02-27-2007, 06:08 PM

If your going custom you need to be looking at the 308warbird. None of the previous rounds mentioned can come close to it. Second you want to take weight into account Carbon fiber. If your going with the 700 action you need to get rid of the 700 claw and replace it with the sako extractor, now you have an action to talk about. Now the trigger should be a jewel nothing tops it, crisp 2.5-3 lbs. zero creep just POW. Muzzle break by vias and now you've got a custom rifle that will weigh with a 26 in brl. around 5.6-6.0 pounds and hammer any north american game out to 700-800 yrds with any thought. just my 2 cents
1/2 inch groups all day

Here is mine
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/hwcolganiii/IMG_0920-1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/hwcolganiii/IMG_0923.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/hwcolganiii/IMG_0925.jpg

Quick Reply: New Rifle project, need input!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.