Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers >

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Community

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well team we are currently in first place now! While I am not sure if we can hold onto it or not it surely feels good to be able to say we are there for now! Great work at getting things done. Whether we stay on as #1 or not does not really matter to me as the other teams still have some seasons opening up on the 1st as well. The main thing is to stay safe and enjoy your hunting..
Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Congrat Phil on your bird!

Have they updated the standings so that you know we are in 1st?

I've got us another bird....details to follow!

Last edited by blackheel; 04-29-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm back from my trip to southern Iowa and we had a blast. The birds were working great. I scored on the first day. I'll post the story, pics, and score when I get home from work today! Do I just have to post the stats on here then?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats to you Phil and jepcho. Glad to see that y'all got a bird.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats jepcho! I am glad to hear you scored as well !! We are definitely in number 1 position right now! Way to go team! Yahoo we are getting it done!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

My story of yesterday... I was driving up to where I was going to set my blind up and around a mile from where I park my truck 2 hens started walking into the woods. This section of woods is around a 1/4 mile long and 150 yards wide. There is the pipeline on one side and a power line on the other side of it. So I stopped and watched the hens for a minute as it was light rain coming down. So I figured what the heck and tried my luck at calling. before I knew another hen showed up with a tom close behind her. I grab my shotgun and got out of the truck and they took running. So I walked back down the road and over to the power line and tried calling some more. In about five minutes I was watching the hens when one saw me. They started to go in a different direction. I looked around for the tom and spotted his tail moving up and down from behind a small ever green sapling. I waited until his head showed up with the only problem he was around 60 yards away. I thought about it as I knew he was going to go with the hens. I figured I may as well give it a try and the old goose gun dropped it like a pile of bricks on it's head. So it really is not very much of a story but a good bird none the less.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

My story of this morning has me confused.. I went in and set up my blind. I was late getting there. I figured what the heck I wanted to hunt out of it so I was going to. After setting it up and setting 2 hen decoys out I sat there and tried calling. After setting there for around 2 1/2 hours I got bored and decided to take a walk up the road farther.

Once I got out of my blind a huge turkey came out around 400 yards up the hill from me. So back in my blind I went. I stood there watching him as he strutted a couple of times looking like a bear cub from where I was at. So I called a few more times and he turned and started coming my way. I lost sight of him a few times and called a couple of more times. He kept on coming into my calling. No gobbling or anything. It took around 20 minutes for him to come in to around 40 yards from me. He would not come in any closer even with my hen decoys. Just no way could I get him to come in for me. So numb one here decided to take a shot. I missed him and off he went. I can not figure out how I had missed him at all but I did. This was a bird I tried all hunting season to get a shot at and there he was.. He was huge and no doubt the biggest I have ever seen up in these parts..

Now I am wondering if he will be back again or not? I am hoping so and now wondering whether I should keep my blind there or move it? Any thoughts on this one. I also believed he hung up because of the wind blowing on my blind making noises..
Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry blackheel I have over looked it.. Congrats again first of all!

No they have not updated it yet so I have been following the teams to see what happens. For as far as each team member getting birds and the weight of them we are right now in first place! There is no doubt about it and now jepcho has sealed the deal I hope! I am not sure about the weight of combined birds as of yet. But I am thinking with yours and jepcho we are now!! Great job everyone and I will keep routing and trying to help seal the deal! But it goes by the best weight of each bird a team member gets and not all birds from that team. ( the best bird one bird from each member ) If we can hold onto it is the question.. As of right now though it is ours!! There is still more hunters on some of the teams who will be starting Thursday and Saturday and they can make a game changer on us. But for now any ways we are shining! I think we are going to win it and we can see by the number of birds and the average weight we are really laying the smack down! There is 7 of us now counting jepcho that has nailed a bird so far. I am not sure what jepcho has as of yet but so far our best bird average is over 55 ( closer to a score of 57 or 58 someplace) that will be hard for the others to beat unles a few multi beards show up.. Or a team gets a few more members getting birds.. But, some of these guys has the season closing soon so who knows who will win it? We do! That is who!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-29-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys! Sorry I havent been posting on here much. First off congrats to everybody who has tagged birds this spring, and those that havent but have been out there having fun! I've read through all the posts and think we really have a great team this year!

I have been out a few times with my little brother this spring but finally got out this last weekend for Iowa's 3rd season. Everything worked out for me this last friday the 25th. I got a chance to go to southern iowa and hunt with my dad which was great. I really wanted to focus on getting him a bird, although he wanted my little brother to shoot one. Well we got on a hot gobbler on the roost the first morning, and it didn't take long after flydown for me to work him into range. He spotted something he didn't like and started to booger, thats when I told my dad to kill him. He had to swing his gun and ended up shooting and missing as he was starting to take off. He was pretty upset and I quickly tried to pump him up. We grabbed the decoys and headed off to find another hot gobbler. We snuck out to a field and spotted 3 toms with 2 hens. After moving on them a few times, during which I was yelping to keep them located, I suddenly realized that they were coming into my calling pretty fast. We had to set up really fast and only I was able to get setup facing the right direction. All three came in strutting and gobbling. When the got into 20 yards and I went to put my sight on the lead bird, I realized my scope was completely fogged up because of how wet everthing was that morning. Luckily I was able to get my finger up and wipe it off just enough to get my crosshairs on one of the birds red head and drop him!! Such a fun morning. The next morning we got on two toms with 4 hens on the roost and watched them fly down about 200 yards out. We watched them strut around the hens for 2 hours, calling occasionally. I told my dad and brother that we just had to wait them out. Sure enough, after those two hours, the flock broke our way and here they all came right in. One of the toms got 5 yards behind us, gobbling and spitting and drumming, while the other came into our decoys about 8 yards in front of us. My little brother shot and missed and my dad backed him up and dropped the bird. It was a great weekend, we were on birds a lot more just couldnt close the deal for my brother. I have one more tag for Iowa's 4th season that starts tomorrow. I should be able to fill that tag as well. Anyway, my birds stats..

Eastern in Iowa
4/25/14 at around 7:00 AM
20 lbs
1 3/16 spurs
10.375 beard
Your score is 20 + 11.875 + 11.875 + 20.75 = 64.5
Attached Thumbnails Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers-bird.jpg   Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers-bird2.jpg   Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers-bird3.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you need anything else to get his score posted let me know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.