Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers >

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Community

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

bigc870 - Try no decoys. Public or private land? Also if you know where they are roosting, push in fairly close extra early if you can. If you are hearing 15 different birds, you should be able to get one. Also, once you get him to gobble, he knows where you are. If you keep calling and firing him up, his gobbling may attract hens and shut him down.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Bigc870 I think you are experiencing henned up gobblers or pressured birds or maybe even both. Hunting deer hunting style is all you can do( I hate hunting turkeys that way). I would try to see if they are roosting any were close to the same area. I know its frustrating. Good luck
Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on all the birds guys. Well, we've had heavy rains and thunder for 3 days now. I was able to go by Walmart and pick up the last two hen decoys they had. Turkey Thugs, which are better than the old decoys the bear ate. Inspection of the blind revealed 4 broken rods and a 1'x2' L tear in the roof with several claw punctures and small tears. I guess he stood on it with his front paws. Not sure I can repair it. I may try sewing a patch that covers that quarter of the roof. Have to see how much rods would be shipped. I can find another similar hub style for $99 but that's not in the budget for this season. Looks like I'm going to be going ghillie suit for the rest of the season. Thankfully it's warmed up some. Tomorrow morning looks like raining in the morning so I won't go out if it is. Friday, I may be able to get in an hour before work. We can hunt all day, starting tomorrow, so some evening hunts may be possible.

Last edited by Talondale; 04-30-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigc, I do not hunt with my tom either right now and I am leaving my jake in as well. The only thing I am currently using is 2 hens. One of them feeding and one not. To date I have yet to hear one gobble for me or gobble at all. It has been windy except for today and still no gobbling..

I did see that bird on the way in this morning and I bumped him. He run down a small hill out of my sight and then flew off. I am very glad to see it none the less as it bothered me. Now I know he will be there for another day.

Talondale, I am sorry to hear how bad that bear struck your blind. I know that has to be a big disappointment. The claw marks in my roof I was able to put some camo tape on it. I am not sure how that is going to hold out for me. But, I figure I had nothing to loose and it was smaller than your damage. Hopefully you can get back out and have some success.. But none the less if you can get back out enjoy the hunting..
Old 04-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the birds guys! I just went by and pulled my camera. No pics of turkeys but I did see a gobbler track in the mud. You could see the details in the track so my guess is that it's pretty fresh
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by blackheel
I will try to get pics up. I am in a bad cell area so trying to get them up to photobucket is really tough.
If you are still having trouble blackheel you can pm me and I will let you text it to me and post it up for you? Just no giving my text number out..
Old 05-01-2014, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guy just got another one! Great hunt and great morning to be in Gods creation! Both of his spurs are broke off( to bad) send pic to you later Phil and post details. Got to get to work.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, you're on fire swampbuster!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats swampbuster! Way to go!! Even without spurs he will still add on the teams total any ways.. I know it sucks as it will keep the score down though..
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats swampbuster! I can wait to get back out after them this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.