Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers >

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Community

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

First of all congrats on a very nice bird!!!

jepcho, you may have to show measurements of both beard and both spurs as proof if someone complains. Meaning that you should if you can put a tape rule or ruler showing the measurements if some one wishes to see them...

I am going to post this for you as is...

Yes we have a great team of guys on our team that is for sure..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-29-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey guys this makes 7 of our team members scoring birds! We are doing great in this area.. That is where we will end up winning.. and That is where it counts.. Keep up the great work guys!

For as far as over all bird tally we are still behind team 6.. They just keep getting them.. But it mostly all the same ones getting the birds.. But that does not matter to much anyways..
Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Once you get your pics up blackheel I will get it posted for ya! Congrats!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phil, how many more birds you able to shoot? I'd get back after that big one you missed.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Jepcho congrats on a great bird!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Spike

Just checking in I have been away a while.

First and foremost congrats to every one that has bagged a bird or birds!!!!!!

For me it has been a big goose egg. Had one on his way in around 11am and once he seen my decoys he turned around and got out of there. I guess he had been there and done that!!

I have heard alot of birds but once they hit the ground everything goes silent real quick.

I was walking around yesterday looking for a place that looks like the feed alot since they won't work, I thought I would go with the deer hunting approach and wait them out, and found a pretty good spot.

I spooked one off roost at 9:50am. I can't for the life of me figure out why he was still on roost, I was the only one within about a mile or two.

I still have until May 11th so don't count me out just yet!!!!!

Anyone got any advice on what is the best way to hunt turkeys that are not gobbling once they hit the ground?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

jepcho I am allowed to shoot 1 more bird so I am trying pretty hard to get it done.. I am heading back out this morning and may leave that big bird alone for a couple of days. If there is one big bird there must be another big bird around some place.. That way if I do not have any luck I can try him again after a few more days.. I have until the last of May to try and get him.. On the bright side.. I have not seen a jake as of yet.. Just 2 and 3 year old birds or older.. I am hoping to better my score but if not a 50 or better will be a nice bird for the team..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-30-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

bigc, I have not heard a gobble as of yet either as it has been rain and wind the first day and wind on the second day go figure.. I think I am supposed to have showers on the next 2 days.. I hope not but no one can make their own weather.. I am hoping to hear a gobble today. If not it is what it is.. But I can say where I am hunting there surely is turkeys and no bugs biting me as of yet..

Are you using a tom with your decoys? If so leave the tom out of there. Hens should draw one in and sometimes the birds do not like a tom or a jake and will simply go away. An aggressive bird will tackle either a jake or a tom in a hurry while a passive tom will just walk away. He already has hens and does not want to mess with another tom or jake.. Sometimes that is the way they do it.

Set a hen out where the tom has to come by you in order to see it works sometimes. that one will work and do not over call him. He maybe used to calls and is call shy. What I did yesterday was just give a couple of calls and wait for a half hour and give a couple of more. Fortunately for me I was able to see him and just watched him coming towards me and only called when he had stopped up for a while. With all the wind I had my doubts on seeing anything at all.

I am going back into there to day only a little farther up the road and will leave my decoys at the blind on this trip and just hide in the rocks or a set of small bushes near an opening in the wall. I know that the turkeys are there so I will do my best.. I will let you know how things work out.. After all the object is to try and get him to come in looking for the hen.. So if the hen is not there he is going to have to look harder.. This may not help you in your situation but worthy of a try. Just becarefull of over calling them..
Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I will try to get pics up. I am in a bad cell area so trying to get them up to photobucket is really tough.

I got my last tag of the spring filled this am in the pouring rain. First double bearded bird of my life! Unfortunately he looks like a drowned rat as hard as it was raining and he flopped into a puddle after the shot.

It has been a very blessed spring!! Good luck to the rest of the team as their seasons continue.

For those that are having trouble with birds shutting up on the ground, try to figure out where they are going after they hit the ground. Being a good woodsman/woman can kill a lot more turkeys then a world class caller!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
bigc, I have not heard a gobble as of yet either as it has been rain and wind the first day and wind on the second day go figure.. I think I am supposed to have showers on the next 2 days.. I hope not but no one can make their own weather.. I am hoping to hear a gobble today. If not it is what it is.. But I can say where I am hunting there surely is turkeys and no bugs biting me as of yet..

Are you using a tom with your decoys? If so leave the tom out of there. Hens should draw one in and sometimes the birds do not like a tom or a jake and will simply go away. An aggressive bird will tackle either a jake or a tom in a hurry while a passive tom will just walk away. He already has hens and does not want to mess with another tom or jake.. Sometimes that is the way they do it.

Set a hen out where the tom has to come by you in order to see it works sometimes. that one will work and do not over call him. He maybe used to calls and is call shy. What I did yesterday was just give a couple of calls and wait for a half hour and give a couple of more. Fortunately for me I was able to see him and just watched him coming towards me and only called when he had stopped up for a while. With all the wind I had my doubts on seeing anything at all.

I am going back into there to day only a little farther up the road and will leave my decoys at the blind on this trip and just hide in the rocks or a set of small bushes near an opening in the wall. I know that the turkeys are there so I will do my best.. I will let you know how things work out.. After all the object is to try and get him to come in looking for the hen.. So if the hen is not there he is going to have to look harder.. This may not help you in your situation but worthy of a try. Just becarefull of over calling them..

Phil I had 2 hen decoys out and very little calling. I don't hunt with with male turkey decoys too many people around for that.

Where I hunt the birds are pressured alot. I think that is why they won't work and stop gobbling quick. Only thing I can think of to do is just setup and due very little calling and hope one will walk by. There are several gobblers in there. I usually hear 15 or so first thing in the morning but they are not close enough to go after since they only gobble on roost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.