Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers >

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Community

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Old 04-27-2014, 02:46 AM
Fork Horn

10:50 am for time of kill
Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

Decided to sleep in this morning bad weather is coming in. Last Monday was the only day I didn't hunt. Going to recharge the battery. I hope all of you who are hunting are enjoying the woods and spring time.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Everyone needs to take a break once in a while.. Besides you guys have all been doing great!

I am hoping to bring back a good report sometime this week. Hopefully tomorrow will be a day for a first kill for me. I can hardly wait for it to get here! I want to be out there trying to help the team out.. I have a 2 bird max so if I can get them I am going to.. It is supposed to be a showery type of day with highs around 48 so it should be great out there.. I will head up and set up my blind. My game plan is to set in my blind all day and may end up with taking a nap.. lol But after that it will be serious stuff from Tuesday on.. I will have 5 weeks to get it done and the green grass is only just starting to come up right now.. This should make excellent hunting conditions! My second week I will be lucky to get anymore than 1 day in as a shutdown is going on. With that we normally get double coverage with everyone working then.. After that mornings and 2 to 3 full days to get it done..

Good Luck guys!! We are going to win this contest! Most of all enjoy your hunting in the great outdoors!!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-27-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK guys!! I am packed up and ready to head out in the morning as soon as I get home.. I can hardly wait for the moment I can try out my itching trigger finger. I just hope one shows up to let me that is all. The area I am heading into is vast and the turkeys travel it every where. I am posting a picture of one of those such ares I am planning on hunting if I have to once the pressure picks up on them.. Just imagine this running for a little better than 83 miles! Some areas a road runs between the mowed field and the power line. I am heading into an area where the road is gated until next week to see if I can get that big bird that would not play well with me last year. My blind is already there waiting for me to set it up.. Anyways here is a picture of one section with out any road on it. I will hunt this area only when I get down to the final week.. Wish me luck guys..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-27-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck Phil it has been a long wait for you to get out there. Hope you have a great time and get a great bird. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks swampbuster.. I may send you a short text if I get one while I am out there.. I can not text to the web as I always plug it in to do things.. lol I am planning on making the day of it. This is the first year of all day hunting for turkeys.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck Phil and who ever is still out there in the woods.

Got a question for yall. I got a new to me mossberg 835 for the season this year and it's great when clean but the area I hunt is extremely Sandy so the shell would get stuck and I would have to slam the butt on the ground to load a shell after the shot.

Looking for input (recommendations) on a all around shotgun preferably one that will shoot all sizes and I'm not throwing the possibility of getting a semiauto. I've been looking at the stoeger but if I ever want to get a slug barrel they are smooth bore. Any input would help
Old 04-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks kellyquinn! I too wish all out hunting the best of lusk! In case I forget I also wish those that will be starting May first the best of Luck as well! I will be traveling very early after this morning gets here. I will also check in for any updates we get..

I am not sure how the sand gets into you shotgun kellyquinn? Is it getting into the action or where is it getting in? this would be more helpfull to everyone.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Most of it is up in the action but pretty much everywhere including the tube and I think it's going in thru the bottom. My rem 870 has a cover there where as the mossberg doesn't. It is very sandy with out much green vegetation to keep it down. The slightest bit of wind blows it around. The 870 shoots 3" and I'm fixing to hand it down to my son. Figured I'd upgrade to the 3 1/2
Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not much of a gun smith kellyguinn. Next to impossible to keep it out if the wind is blowing it every where. Other than carrying it around in a soft case until you set up on some turkeys. If I was to by a new shotgun I would close and hard at a Franchi. Manufactured at the same place as Benelli but without the Benelli price tag. 3.5 with bottomland camo was $999. It felt real comfortable as well. I personally shoot a 1187 sportsman(thumb hole stock) extremely comfortable. You can get it as a turkey gun and get a fully rifled slug barrel as well. That's what I have. Turkey barrel for turkey season and slug gun for deer season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.