Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Community

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Al - great deer! Nothing like taking a deer off the ground - sounds like a heck of an experience - to be in the middle of all that action must have been just awesome!! Sounds like you made a PERFECT shot too!

When does shotgun start?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next weekend is the last weekend of bow, then shotgun is the weekend after that. Thats when the woods become full of bangs, and all the deer die lol.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck Al. Fran sent me the message about noon. I figured it was you when PT wouldn't say anything to me. Hell of a hunt to get 1 of the ground that is hard as hell to do. The best news is you can get to work on my deer head.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what I was thinkin Dan! Im REALLY behind on just about everything, school work, work work, it takes a load off my shoulders thats for sure.

BTW, just scored him 92 3/8, I was hoping for a 100"er, but hes close enough.[8D]
Old 11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

AL like I've said I'm in no hurry enjoy the kill.Are you mounting it?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys - just checking in real quick. I didn't get my buck scored yet, been busier than a bee... I did get him skinned and boiled though. So, the next step is a coat of white paint and an official score. Should happen sometime this week.

Did Dave get his buck scored yet? I'm wondering what that bruiser taped out at.

Ohio hunting this weekend was a bust. Saturday morning, I almost got in a fight when I got to my tree and there was some random guy sitting in it. Then I got tanked Saturday night (slept in Sunday). Headed out for the evening hunt on Sunday, but it was hotter than Hades, and I saw nothing.

This weekend, I fully expect to see a shooter. Anything less than that will be a letdown.

Keep pounding it, boys.

Jason, Tim - if I don't talk to you guys before then, good luck on your hunts.

Al - congrats again on a great NY buck!

Danno - sorry to hear about the F-I-L. All the best, buddy.

Marty, Daniel - keep after it.

Dominate this competition.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran sorry to hear about your spot. I would have dropped my pants and let 1 fly.

We got home Sunday afternoon to find out my father in law had a mild stroke. It's his 4th stoke and things aren't looking good for him. My wife is a nurse and has been one for 12 years so she knows when people are on there last leg.She not feeling really good about his recovery at this point. He is a nice guy and I hate to see him and his wife go through this. I think it's tougher on my wife because her mom needs her there to explain all the medical stuff.At this point my wife still wants to hunt but is conflicted weather or not to make the 3 hour trip on Friday.

I figured he was in bad shape the weekend I took my buck and I thought that might have been the last weekend to hunt.I told my wife it is up to her and I go along with whatever she decideds to do. For now everthing including gun season is up in the air. Gun season isn't that big of a deal for me anymore it's just more about hanging out then shooting a buck.

Keep after it guy's we got this thing let's just see if we can break 1000"
Dave and Fran Get your scores up Jeez.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Well as a few of you know I shot a Monster of a buck on Monday. Here is the story that goes along with it. Its a long post, sorry.

I was invited to go and hunt a property with a good friend of mine about an hour and a half from where I live. We were in the stand early and this place is truly amazing. The deer sign was so heavy that it was hard to imagine. I saw several deer right around sun up and the deer kept moving all morning.

At 7:45 I saw 2 does coming in but they were hanging up and looking back which I hoped was a good sign. From an area of deep cover this monster ran toward the stand I was in and was going to run right by. I am not perfect at scoring deer by looking but I am going to guess 150-160. I didn't have time to count points as this happened fast but he had a pretty good drop tin on the left side. He was the biggest deer I have ever seen. I was able to get my bow drawnand grunt which stopped him broadside at 19 yards. When the pin settled onwhere I wanted it I shot only to watchhim jump the string and drop asthe arrow hit him.

As the deer turned to run I could see that the arrow was about 4" below the spine with about 8" of arrow sticking out both sides. I could have thrownup as I watched this unfold. With this hit we found blood and backed out for about4 hours. When wecame back we looked for blood again for about 45 minutes on our handsand knees but foundnone. I decided to walk the two possible trails that he could have taken and about 30 yards down one of the trailsI found my arrow.There was no blood on the front half of the arrow, just fat. The back halfhad red blood where it had beenpulled through.

After finding the arrow we looked for blood for another45 minutes and found 2 drips about the sizeof a BB, then nothing.The area that he was heading was a narrow creek bed with cut soybean fields on either side so we grid searched the whole creek bed down and back, found nothing. We then went back down the creek bed searching the area again and then walked the field edges back to see if there was any sign there, found nothing. Then we went the opposite direction from the way that he was headed in case he circled back (which would be tough since my friend and I were both back that direction) and grid searched that area again finding nothing.

At dark we called the search off. My friend will be hunting the same area today (tuesday) and was going to watch for turkey vulchers or anything else out of the ordinary. This is the lowest feeling that I have felt while hunting. For the area that I hunt, this is a once in a life time buck and I not only wasted the opportunity, but might have killed this trophy buck in the process. You can buy a smoking fast bow, good arrows, great broadheads, practice hard and do everything that you can think of to be ready, but if the arrow is not in the vital area nothing else matters.

All I can hope for now is that the arrow went in the "notorious" area above the lungs and below the spine and artery and the buck will live. I think that I must have hit the back of the shoulder blade or something because the arrow did not pass through. I am shooting a 444 grain arrow 315 fps so kinetic energy should not be an issue. It is unbelievable that a buck can jump the string at 19 yards like that.

Well this is the story, critism and comments welcome. I will not be hunting again until Sunday but I did get permission to hunt the land that was leased out so that is a plus.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan - sorry to hear about your father in laws health, I'll keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers.

Fran - that sucks!! So what did he do/say when you got to your stand? What a looser!

I had a coyote at 10 yards this morning. Thought about blasting him, but didn't want to 'ruin' one of my new broadheads.... Hunting around here has been the toughest I've seen it. With all the crops in and the warm weather, NOTHING is moving.... I'm looking forward to switching things up at the end of the week - cause I need a change of pace right now...

Good luck everyone!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Dan- Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. You and your family will be in our prayers.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.