Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Community

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

I think my deer will be some were around 130ish
Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Thats awesome Ranger! Things sound like they are coming together.

I finally saw some deer! I grunted a doe in on Saturday morning but she didn't give me a shot. This morning I grunted a spike in to 30 yards. Not the kind of deer that I am looking for but at least I am seeing something. The rut is officially here in this area. My coyote calling partner saw a small 4 pointer breeding a doe last night.

For tonights hunt I am going to break out the estrous and see what happens. Don't worry guys I am going to work hard throughout the season no matter what happens.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Dave way to go on the 8. (Pics)? Do you want to shed some light on how you do it.?

Well boys I just got back from the worst 4 days of hunting in over 10 years. 1 buck 2 does and 1 was to early to see what it was but I think it was a buck. I didn't take the bow out until this morning because I didn't have a buck tag and I was trying to get the wife on 1.

This morning my wife said she had enough. So I went out to a stand I hung in April. I haven't been back since. I get up there and had 1 come through early,so after about 2 hours I decide to check out what the deer was that walked by. Big track on a fricken cow path. So I follow it and it comes out on the rd. Then I turn around and back track him all the way across my property past 6 stands and there is noway to get a shot at him from any stand. It was dark when he came in and he was heading off my property at that point I might try setting up on him next week.

The rut hasn't started yet by me but there were some sign but no daylight movement.

Keep at it boys and good luck.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

This weekend was full of too early to shoot scenarios, and trespassers....

Had to boot 5 different guys out of out hunting land, pretty much makes for some terrible hunting. Thats why I really dont enjoy hunting the weekend that much. Last night after dealing with all of the intruders I decided to go where I knew I wouldnt see anyone. Its a little hardwood opening inbetween two hemlock groves and a swamp. I never have hunted this spot, since its about 1.5 miles in, and im generally lazy and satasfied with the deer I am seeing closer to home, but I had to venture out. I seen a 4pt chasing a doe all over the place, she was no where near interested, but he was looking for some action. He was young and desperate, and ive been in his shoes before, so I decided to let him walk[8D]. After that I seen 4 more bucks, one was a shooter 8pt but he was just out of range, didnt quite put my climber in the right spot. They were all about 50-60 yards off.

Tonight was more of the same, no shooters but one little 6pt outa ways. The bucks are starting to sniff around a little but so i'll be checking out some doe groups in the morning, I like to keep tabs on them the best I can, expecially the little ones early.

Good luck everyone, this is our time to shine!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing for me this weekend.... Still not much for movement, but I have a feeling things are getting close!

I plan to head out in the mornings this week, hopefully I'll get a crack at one soon!! This weeks going to go by fast as I leave for IA Friday. Can't wait!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Al ??????????
Old 11-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

Al ??????????
Good news I hope!!

Nothing this morning - but could see several combines taking out corn from my stand, so hopefully that will get the deer moving towards the tree groves, creek bottoms, etc.

Weather this week looks AWESOME!!! They are saying maybe snow later in the week, so this could be the 'big cooldown' to finally get things seriously moving. We just have to hope and pray they get enough of the corn out before the moisture hits!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys just got back to my computer, been cuttin up deer meat all day!

Im uploading the pics here right now, i'll have them up soon.

Sorry Dan, our phones just do not like eachother Lol, i cant ever seem to get a message over to you.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Hey guys just got back to my computer, been cuttin up deer meat all day!

Im uploading the pics here right now, i'll have them up soon.

Sorry Dan, our phones just do not like eachother Lol, i cant ever seem to get a message over to you.
Sweet!!! Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

And the story.....Not the one I was after, but with shotgun season looming, I couldnt pass him up.

Went out today with absolutly zero confidence, gettin warm, havnt seen squat, trespassers to deal with, etc...

I decided to hunt off the ground for a change, so I went to an old fire lane between a hardwoods and a pine thicket. Right off the bat I noticed a bunch of fresh scrapes and the smell of "deer." I set up accordingly and hung tight. About 6:30 I see a doe and I have every intention of shooting her, then I hear a BBAAAAAPPP (buck grunt[8D]) behind her, so I figure i better see what made that noice instead of shooting her Lol. I see this hoss behind her causing all sorts of ruckus, rubbin trees, pissin on himself, it was awesome. They come in, 2 YARDS, right behind me, since im under a pine tree with big overhanging branches, I dont have a chance to shoot. Instead of comming into my lane the doe decided to not cooperate and run directly away, he follows. So im like screw it, gotta try something, so I step out from under this tree, making all the noise in the world and he is oblivious, focused on the doe. He decides to check out a scrape so he gives me a shot, 32 yards and I drilled him, heart with 2 lungs. He bounds twice then floped, deadder then a smelt...

Enjoy....

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.