Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Community

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 10-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 13 Thread (Returning Champs) The Dark Horses.

Didn't get a lot of good trail cam pics from IA, here is one of the better ones.... Hard to tell for sure, but looks like a nice deer. One of his sides looks like it's forked?

Old 10-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok this was a great day of hunting except for I got busted. For 3 hour I was listening to this F"ing red squirrel behind my stand keeping an eye on him just to make sure it wasn't a deer. The 1 time I don't look here come a 120" buck. Stood right under me for about 5 minutes. He really didn't bust out and I could here him circling me. At this point I can only see about 40 yards I only have about 5 minutes left but I'm prepared to hang tight. He pops back out on the other side of me and stands head on at 35 yards.This time I have the bow in his direction redy to draw but he didn't likeit and left back out.

He is pretty close to the buck I took in 2006. I have pics of him and never really thought of him as a shooter but he did look a lot better in person.

I found a pic I'm not at my computer.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My morning... UGGHH!!!!

I rolled into the woods to hang a stand in a fencerow at 4:30 am. By 4:50 I was set and waiting for shooting light here in Illinois at 6:20ish.

At 6:55 am I stood up to get ready for any movement. A minute later a doe was headed for me.. and passed at 20 yards.. followed by..

another doe.. another doe.. and a small buck.

Then another small buck.. and another.. all passing at 20-25 yards spaced apart by 30-40 yards. All the bucks stopping at a licking branch briefly that was 33 yards from my stand but hidden some by the branches of the trees within the fencerow.

Then another buck.. this one a 100" 2 yr. old. I was just hoping a bigger was still to come. IT DID!

A 135 8 pointer that was just perfect. He comes up to the licking branch.. does his thing as I put my release on my bow string.

The 135 takes 2 steps.. 2 more and he's mine.. and stops COLD and ALERT.. staring at the does who are now headed out of the woods they just entered and into the middle of the field trailed by 1 of the small bucks.

I look back at my 135 and HE B-LINES STRAIGHT TO THE DOES! (about 70 yards straight out). He chases off the little buck and checks the does (head down.)

THEN THEY ALL FREEZE AGAIN..!! Looking back into the small woods the does shot out of. I look and here comes a tiny little yote.. who stops cold in his/her tracks when he/she realizes like 9 deer are looking at him/her!

Everybody's frozen for like 30 seconds and the yote takes a step... AND THEY ALL RUN BACK THE WAY THEY CAME!!! (only the 135 with white tail up.)!!!

TWO steps is all I needed.. and a yote ends up completely ruining it ALL.

I was sick the rest of the morning.. but just hoped the deer would return back to me. But they never did.

I hate yotes and will show no mercy anymore the rest of this season. I'm so ticked!

I would have had my chance if that yote never scared the does back out of those woods. UNBELIEVABLE!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got the word on Dan! Now he needs to get his ass back here and show some pics!!!

Hang in there duke, im sure he'll be back!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes.. congrats to Dan! Recieved a text from him earlier this evening!

WOO WOO!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

My morning... UGGHH!!!!

I rolled into the woods to hang a stand in a fencerow at 4:30 am. By 4:50 I was set and waiting for shooting light here in Illinois at 6:20ish.

At 6:55 am I stood up to get ready for any movement. A minute later a doe was headed for me.. and passed at 20 yards.. followed by..

another doe.. another doe.. and a small buck.

Then another small buck.. and another.. all passing at 20-25 yards spaced apart by 30-40 yards. All the bucks stopping at a licking branch briefly that was 33 yards from my stand but hidden some by the branches of the trees within the fencerow.

Then another buck.. this one a 100" 2 yr. old. I was just hoping a bigger was still to come. IT DID!

A 135 8 pointer that was just perfect. He comes up to the licking branch.. does his thing as I put my release on my bow string.

The 135 takes 2 steps.. 2 more and he's mine.. and stops COLD and ALERT.. staring at the does who are now headed out of the woods they just entered and into the middle of the field trailed by 1 of the small bucks.

I look back at my 135 and HE B-LINES STRAIGHT TO THE DOES! (about 70 yards straight out). He chases off the little buck and checks the does (head down.)

THEN THEY ALL FREEZE AGAIN..!! Looking back into the small woods the does shot out of. I look and here comes a tiny little yote.. who stops cold in his/her tracks when he/she realizes like 9 deer are looking at him/her!

Everybody's frozen for like 30 seconds and the yote takes a step... AND THEY ALL RUN BACK THE WAY THEY CAME!!! (only the 135 with white tail up.)!!!

TWO steps is all I needed.. and a yote ends up completely ruining it ALL.

I was sick the rest of the morning.. but just hoped the deer would return back to me. But they never did.

I hate yotes and will show no mercy anymore the rest of this season. I'm so ticked!

I would have had my chance if that yote never scared the does back out of those woods. UNBELIEVABLE!

Hang in there, we have a lot of season left.

I made it out tonight and didn't see a single deer again. The highlight of the night was getting the text from Dan!! Looks like we are going to get on the board!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well boys on the board. This looked like it could be my last weekend to hunt. Family stuff going on. It always figures Family crisis in the middle of hunting season,I can go all year long with nothing then bam as soon as the season opens crap storm.Back to the reason why we are all here. I came up 118 2/8" So here we go again. Do we get extra point for HNI wear?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking deer Dan! That's awesome!! We're on the board fellas.....
Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Nice deer Dan. Hopefully that is what we needed to get the rest of us going. We are nottied forlast place anymore!
Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I checked out the video from the kill shot it turned out like crap. For some reason the camera got put on easy mode which makes it focus on the closest object.This case it was my broadhead. Until I drew then it focused kind of on the deer but there was alot of leaves in the way.You can only see the buck for about 10 seconds. Sucks but chaulk up a learning experiance.

Know we have some heavy compitition out there this you bring the a- games.

Jason that looks like a cool buck. He needs to be inspected further.
Mike dude that sucks about the yote. Rat bastarded. I have some of the same stuff going on at my place except I got wolfs.

Al I can't wait until you hit the woods.

Dan keep at it.

Thanks for all the texts I couldn't text right back my brain was on fire.I couldn't put 2 and 2 together.I called Fran and let him know so I hope you got the picture at least. Here is a pick with last years prize I looked stoned but I'm not.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.