Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Community

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

ORIGINAL: BlueRanger1

Here he is

Sweet buck Dave! Awesome work!!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck Dave. Awesome.

Huge Congrats!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Spike

Dave- Thats a great buck! Awesome job...Congrats.

Fran- Nothing really eventful here in PA. I passed on a couple small 1.5 y.o's last week but no mature bucks so far. I saw a 120" 8 point chasing does around and have pictures of small bucks chasing does so it should start to pick up soon. Unfortunately, tomorrow will be my last day to hunt in PA before I leave for Kansas on thursday.

Jason- Keep at it, you will connect soon enough. When do you head to Iowa?

Al- That was a great thing you did for your friend. Now it's your turn.(Sorry to hear about his grandpa).

Mike- That was a great post you wrote on scent control. I'm sure I will use some of those tips.

I have a ton of those earth scent wafers and I guess I don't utilize them enough. I never thought to include 1 with my bow.

Rubber boots are big thing with me also, they don't touch a carpet or a vehicle. They are always stored in a air tight container or bag on the way to and from hunting, and I change themin the fieldand powder them as well.

I always change into my camoin the fieldas well, even if it is cold outside.

But no matter howgood I think my scent control is I always play the wind and never hunt a stand if the wind is wrong.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 16 point

Unfortunately, tomorrow will be my last day to hunt in PA before I leave for Kansas on thursday.

Jason- Keep at it, you will connect soon enough. When do you head to Iowa?
Good luck in Kansas Tim - bring home a monster!!!

I leave for Iowa on FridayNov. 7, can't wait!!! Got the schedule cleared from Nov 8 - 16. So hopefully that's enough time to get some decentbone on the ground!!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just thought I'd be the first to post.. Fran got a buck down this am.

A beautiful 8 pointer!

Congrats Fran.. great buck!

Nothing like going into November with no pressure and the ability for self control to pass great whitetail waiting for a giant. It was my plan going into this year.

Congrats again.. Fran. The Dark Horses are looking great. Four bucks down and gotta be nearly 500" of head!

Good luck gents!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Just thought I'd be the first to post.. Fran got a buck down this am.

A beautiful 8 pointer!
Sweeeet!!! Great work Fran! Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll let Fran post his pic i just hope he made it to work on time.

Jason good luck in IA it sounds like you should hit it just right.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

I'll let Fran post his pic i just hope he made it to work on time.
I have a feeling he ran a little behind....

Boys I had an encounter for the ages tonight....

I seen 3 bucks in all, one six out around 100 yards right off the bat at 4:00

The next was at 5:19, a spike came down a snowmobile trail then headded down the creek, 2 yards from my tree...pretty cool.

And then it happened.

Around 6:00 i glance to my left to see a deer 120 yards off. I throw the binos on it and see its a shooter, for sure. I hit the grunt tube and the big boy comes down the trail without a care in the world. He pauses at 30 yards, straight on behind a few saplings, no shot. Then does a complete 180 and goes back the way he came.... From what I could see he was a solid 130" 8 or 10 pt. Im not sure what the deal was, he never spooked, he just left. Im guessing that when I grunted at him, he came in expecting to see something, and when nothing was there, he lost interest, kinda like calling in a gobbler. Either way, I was bummed out, this was the biggest buck ive seen while hunting and would have crapped if I got an arrow into him. Actually, I think I may have crapped anyways.

I gonna give that spot a rest for a few days then hit it again this weekend. Im hoping he comes back....
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fellas, I'm exhausted...

I had 'til 9:30 to hunt locally today, before I had to head in to work. At 9:20, I looked down and this guy was walking under the tree. There was no time for deliberation... I drew and shot, and my PA season was over just that quick.

I hunted all morning over an existing scrapeline. The wind was terrible, rendering me essentially deaf. This buck was within 5 yds behind me before he caught me totally off guard.

Man, I couldn't be happier. PA hunting time was starting to tighten up, especially with the time change looming. I was quickly approaching a point where I was going to have to consider eating my PA tag to spend the lion's share of my time hanging in Ohio. I was absolutely desperate to tag my PA buck, and put the Commonwealth in the rear-view.I lucked out today.

It was basically a true one-and-done scenario. I scouted these scrapes once and hunted it one morning earlier this season, just to test-drive a tree and get a feel for ingress/egress. Y'all saw a few videos of some of the bigger deer in the area (I may have this guy on film from summertime). I kept this standsite in my back pocket and today was the day. What a great feeling.

After the deer hit the ground, I had just over 2 hours to get him cleaned, dragged, contest pics, iced, and hung. Then, I had to grab a shower, suit up and hit the highway. I was 5 minutes late. LOL

He's finally at the butcher's place and I can finally catch my breath.

Mike: You definitely need your name on your bow. It gives it character.

Al: I got your text today. Major bummer dude. Keep after it. Every second. This is your time.

I'll get him scored this weekend when I do the euromount. I'm guessing 105-110'ish.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck Fran.

I need my bow to say my name across it. Thats awesome.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.