Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 13 Thread (Returning Champs) The Dark Horses.

Al-can't wait to see the you put humpty dumpty back together again.If it is a late season in Ohio I might kick it down there for a second weekend. Ill pick up Mike on the way.

Anybody here from Jason?

Daniel good things are going to come your way. Karma is powerfull force.

I went back and looked at my logs for the last 3 years ans I'm down on sightings. Mostly doe my young buck count is about the same but my 2.5 olds and olders are down big time. The guy across the street from me planted 50 acres of corn so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going on. I hope hepics it in the next couple of weeks or it might be a long season.

Fran hit it hard this week you were the first last year start us off again.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan- I would get a kick out of commin down late season, did that buck get dropped? Or just fall apart? Lol
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Danno - I'm pretty pumped for tomorrow. I'm on a big buck. Just not sure how big. I've got a funnel-stand at the top of a steep canyon, great geographic pinchpoint - separates two bedding areas.

This guy is laying down some major-league signalong the one bedding area adjacent to the funnel.

If I can slip in there undetected tomorrow morning, and pull an all-day sit - he just may walk right into a buzzsaw. My ingress route is pretty non-invasive - and I have a decent chance of getting in there without spooking anything. The ground will be a little damp tomorrow morning (rain tonight), so that will help.

Scent is always at issue in this place, b/c the wind swirls in the deep hollow.

Just to get a grip on the size, he ripped up a maple tree, (probably similar in girth to a Louisville Slugger) - and his tines were gouging into another tree, probably 1 foot behind. So, he must have some decent headgear. If he's 110+, which I'd bet he is, I'm shooting - and I'll spend the balance of my season videotaping other people and/or hunting that monster back in PA.

I'm giving myself a solid 40% chance of tagging a buck here in the next 4 days.

Dan - note to self: Plant Corn Next Year.

Mike - are you still hung over?

Jason - any baby news yet? Good luck to you and yours when the time comes.

Al - do you have any pictures of your taxidermy work so far?I keep sayingthat I'm gonna get a coyote pelt tanned, but every damn coyote I shoot - I blow to pieces. LOL

Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was mounted at 1 time but the guy did a crap job and the hair was falling out. I took it apart and had the antlers on a board then when I moved my wife dropped them in the driveway. He has been through alot it will be nice to see him back together.

Fran make sure you text me on the 414 # until Friday night. I'll be waiting for it..... If he has tine marks on a tree a foot away I would say he is bigger than 110". take a look at the picture for perspective.

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Dan- I would get a kick out of commin down late season, did that buck get dropped? Or just fall apart? Lol
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is one sweet pic Dan, im pretty pumped too about your deer head, i love antlers, unconditionally.

Fran- ive been sort of a 'helper' for the past few years and my mentor is giving me the boot lol. So everything i do from hear on out will all be mine. So once i get a few more specimens under my belt i'll take a few photos and send em to ya. Id hate to put uppics if they were not all my doing.

And i here ya on the coyotes, the only time i really see them is during shotgun season when we do drives, and everyone knows whata slug will do to a 'yote.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the haps.. gents.

Ah.. the wedding was a good one. Lots of drinking the whole weekend as I went from JZ's rehearsal dinner to our 10 year high school reunion with the boys on Friday night. Got liquor'd up all night.. woke up 5 hours later and went over to the grooms to start drinking again. Had several beers in me while standing up for JZ's wedding.

My speech must've went over very well since I was complimented on it all night long. So.. word to that.

My wife look amazing.. as she always does. However Fran.. she did get mildly annoyed by my drinking over the two nights. And then even more annoyed when I left the couch with my hangover on Sunday to get in a tree.

I love this time of year.

It's been slow for me this year so far. Haven't seen a deer in 4 sits now.. about 12+ hours.. OUCH.[&o]

Today is Illinois opener and I'm not even going out.[:@]

I have a plan for a buck I hunted last season. And own both sheds off of. I came up with the idea mid-November of 07'.. and I think it will work. Couldn't execute plan last year due to timing of year..

Saturday morning it's calling for the wind I need for this plan. It's risky.. but if I'm right.. he goes down Saturday morning (another prediction?). It's a very difficult area to hunt.. and whats more it wastes an entire morning if he doesn't show. This bedroom only holds 1 deer. He's a 6 yr. old this year.. which makes him even tougher to predict.. but I really think I got him.

We'll see. Go Cubbies!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go get em Duke! Someone has to break the ice then the bucks will start to fall!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, it's been a little while - been a little busy . We had our baby last Friday. Baby Girl, named her Madison - she was 9lbs. Both mom and baby are doing great!

Needless to say I haven't been out hunting yet. Hope to shoot my bow tomorrow and maybe get in a sit or two this weekend. I'll just have to see how it goes.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Spike

Congratulations on the baby girl Jason!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrat's Jason girls are the best. Get her a little camo jumper.Nothing cuter than that.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.