Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official America's Team Thread (19) >

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Community

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Old 09-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official team 19 hang out...

Just got a text from Don, he passed on a doe at 14 yards. Guess he was scared of contracting slickhead's syndrome!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Or it was too hot to mess with it
Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Just got a text from Don, he passed on a doe at 14 yards. Guess he was scared of contracting slickhead's syndrome!
It took me several years to overcome this debilitating illness. My name is Don, and I'm a recovering slickhead addict.

Rickmur is spot on.....It wasn't too hot really, but I seriously didn't want to mess with it on a weeknight......If yesterday would have been a Friday...well.....she would probably be hanging somewhere.

I thought my night was pretty much screwed when the 4 wheeler pulled up.....[&o] I hear this 4 wheeler approaching, and at about 1/2 mile away it stops....sits there a minute or 2, then turns around and leaves. 20 minutes later I see a young kid still hunting the strip of woods to my right. Bummer. But hey, at least he came in from downwind.....But, being ever so determined to get upwind of the bedding area, he proceeded north. And, sadly......he succeeded. I was hoping he would run something out, but no go. Several minutes later I see him on the levee walking East, away from me. Good. 1/2 hour later, I see a doe come out at 230 yards.....I've got a 60 yard pin and can hold high, but I thought that may be pushing the issue.... Few minutes later, this doe comes walking by on my left, and stops at 14 yards. I was drawn and anchored, and just let her walk. She proceeded to the standing corn behind me, where I watched her feed for about half an hour.

Sound scent control DOES work. When she walked past, I got nervous because she was downwind at that point.....But at 25 yards, she was eating corn. So, I took out my wind puffer and with the sinking thermals......It headed directly to her nose. She had no idea I was on the planet. Good for the confidence.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Don, you are still one step ahead of me. I still cannot get out there for a few more days. That first deer coming by each year still gets my heart pumping whether it is a doe or buck. Hope my jesting didn't get ya riled. You got two weeks before those dang Iowegians get out there and chase all the big bucks to Missouri.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mo what do you do for scent control? I wash all my clothes in the Dead Down Wind and spray myself with their spray before I head out. I do not use any scent lock stuff as I really am just not sure that it is worth the money. Being at the cabin we don't have running water so Idon't have any shower for the weekend.I do shower with the no scent body soap before I head out on Fridays though.

What does everyone else do? Anyone got a specialsecret they use?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

well with a wake up today came good news, I have a date to go home!!!!!!!!!!! still got 6 days and a wake up before I get on the freedom bird, but it is nice to finally have a date!!! I am getting really stoked now to get home and get into a tree stand!!!

Congrats on the Doe way to get started early!!! Good luck to the rest of you that are going to be hitting the woods.

Sounds like the weather back home in NE is going to be good when I get home so hopefully the two weeks that I get when I get home will be productive!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: palmergt3

well with a wake up today came good news, I have a date to go home!!!!!!!!!!! still got 6 days and a wake up before I get on the freedom bird, but it is nice to finally have a date!!! I am getting really stoked now to get home and get into a tree stand!!!

Congrats on the Doe way to get started early!!! Good luck to the rest of you that are going to be hitting the woods.

Sounds like the weather back home in NE is going to be good when I get home so hopefully the two weeks that I get when I get home will be productive!!!
Glad to hear you have a date to come home. I bet your wife and kids are pretty pumped up to have you coming home too. Thanks again for what you do for us.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

wihunter thanks man can't wait to get back to the states!!!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

just found this pic it is the buck that I shot for the competition last year. Going to get him officially scored when I get home. Green scored 134 3/4 hoping to make him look little this year!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 AM

Glad you're getting to come home bro!! That's good news right there.

Scent control. I'm a complete freak, almost OCD, when it comes to scent control. I never touch my hunting clothes w/ bare hands....I spray them with DDW, put on rubber gloves, spray again, then wash in DDW laundry soap. Same thing into the dryer, then into an airtight tub. I wash everything that touches me in DDW, including the towel I use to dry off with. I have a set of clothes I wear in my truck, then change into my hunting clothes when I get there. Yes, I use scentblocker, and it does help. I shower w/ DDW, use DDW anti perspirant and mouth spray...I spray myself, and every article of clothing with Evolve, don my scentblocker, and play the wind to the best of my ability. It's almost like work, but evidently, it works.

Quick Reply: Official America's Team Thread (19)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.