Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official America's Team Thread (19) >

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Old 09-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official team 19 hang out...

That's a great buck you got last year. I sure would like to see one like that come by my stand this year.

Mo you are crazy about that. I do wish we had a shower at the cabin. If we did it would help A LOT. That is something I am working on in the next few years. Glad to hear you like the DDW products. That is what I switched to last year and like it as well. At least I have confidence in it whether it works or not I will never know unless the deer start talking.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Gerry is that a Trykon you are using? Is it the XL or the regular? I had the regular one and really liked it but the draw was so much smoother on the Katera XL I just had to switch. Sold the Trykon but still have some 29" 65% letoff cams. What draw length are you on that?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't go overboard with scent control when prepping. I hang my NBC suit outside for a day or two before hunting and after I put it on I spray down with "Deer Dander". I have had deer come in from down wind and lay down under my stand to sleep. So I know it works. Nice buck Palmer! Looking forward to having you back in CONUS. Keep us updated.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Added another stand last night. I wanted to put it in another area where the deer come out of the field, but the only trees big enough for the stand were dead and I have this thing about hanging a stand in a dead and rotting tree. Anyway the orange circle is around my house. The purple squares are existing stands, the yellow squares are bedding areas, the brown lines are deer routes,and the black arrow points to the new stand. Last year, my son and I sat down in that area and counted 10 bucks walking through.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great to hear you are comming home soon palmer, there's nothing like home sweet home.
Nice buck too, mani would love to kill one that big one this season.

Wihunter, as far as scent control goes, im pretty picky when it comes to that also. I make sure i shower in scent-away soap then use the pit juice as well when im done. If ihavethe time(one the weekends)i would switch to my hunting clothes in the field but i usually do not have time. I also bought a scent lok suit last season which cableas had on sale. And as far as scent elimanation spray, ive been mixing up a homemade recipe that i got off this site, and have been using that for the last 2 seasons, with good results.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the land I am hunting this year...Everything inside the yellow line is mine to hunt without anyone else (or so the theory goes).

Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

AF looks like some great stands. I would think a stand where the 3 trails come together as one in the lower right of the first pic would be another great spot. You sure do have a lot of land there. How many acres is that? Do you own all of it or is the some of the neighbors you are hunting?

Thanks for all the feedback guys on the scent control. Always interested in any new ideas. Finner what is the recipe you got from here? I tried one several years ago and it leaked all of the shed and just didn't have much confidence in it.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

That spot where the 3 trails comes together is the spot with no trees large enough for a stand. I own 51 1/2 acres and the other 440 acres I have exclusive hunting rights to. It's amazing how easy it is here in zone 5 to get permission to hunt land. There is another 400 acres about 5 miles south that the owner asked me to hunt, but I think for now I'll stick close to home. I'm psyched and want to get out there!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 AM

Well here's some fine news......My absolute very best spot, which is along the Missouri River, between the levee and the river, is completely under water. About 15 feet of water, to be precise. As long as the levee holds, the rest of the property will be fine. And, it may actually help me out this year. It should kill all the ground foliage and make the area more open than it was last year. But, it appears that it will be a few weeks before I get to hunt that spot.

Coop, that's a mighty fine looking piece of property you have there. Your latest stand site should be a killer. Those types of funnels almost always are.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

AF Hunter, That new stand site sure does look good, withthat river going thru there. I bet it would really be great come pre-rut.

Wihunter...here is the recipe ive been using, the only thing i add to it is a couple drops of earth scent to it.

Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

ΒΌ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo

Let sit for several days (milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter! No dried blood, presents a better image!

Here an idea for some scent free 'baby wipes'...

mix up a batch of scent killer as per instructions above...

take a roll of heavy duty paper towels (Bounty, Scott, etc..not the 49 cent cheapies)

cut the roll in half with an electric knife so you have 2 short rolls of paper towels(don't try a regular knife... it doesn't work). Pull the cardboard tube from the middle of the half roll

Find a rubbermaid or tupperware container big enough to hold the 1/2 roll of paper towels (and with a good sealed lid).

Put one of the 1/2 rolls of paper in the container, pour in the scent killer, let the wipes soak up the scent killer, keep covered tigtht so they don't dry out. Because the inner cardboard tube is out, pull the paper towels out the from the middle like a kleenex!

The wipe idea didn't work as good for me I think I got it to wet but not sure. The wipes would tear to much and I did use Bounty as the tread had said

Quick Reply: Official America's Team Thread (19)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.