Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official America's Team Thread (19) >

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Community

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official team 19 hang out...

mo bummer about your stand site. I hope it dries out and kills the ground cover like you hope. Sure am glad I have not had to deal with any of that. I did of course have a tornado flatten about 30 acres of our bigger trees 3 years ago. Still dealing with that. Lost several good stand locations and a couple of stands got trashed whent the trees came down. Completely changed the deer patterns as well. Got to get out with the chain saw this Sunday before I leave because a big tree fell covering a trail I made to get to the back of the property.

Thanks for the recipe for the scent killer. Sounds about like what I did only I didn't leave the cap on the jug loose and it kind of popped all over. Maybe I will try it again. The deal with the paper towels sounds good to but I might just soak some down and put them in zip lock bags to take out in the woods. Just have to soak more down as needed.

AF that is great that you can get that much property to hunt. We own 80 acres and I still have problems with guys that "used to hunt" it. Around here getting permission is almost impossible.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got done measuring distances:

1. from my front stoop to the new stand is 1080 feet.
2. the longest shot I might have to take from the new stand is 40 yards
3. from my front stoop to the two stands the furthest south is 2640 feet
4. the longest shot I have in the right one is 30 yards
5. the longest shot I have from the left one is 20 yards
6. the stand in between the house and the southern most stands is 1800 feet
7. the longest shot I have there is 30 yards.

I need to get stands in that southern most part of the land I can hunt, but cannot afford anything 'til I find work.[:@] I know there are some huge bucks bedding there, but since I just got permission not that long ago, I know I'll have trouble with trespassers this year.

The only thing I wonder about where the newest stand position is, I might have to take a slightly uphill shot. I have never done this and wonder if I would have to aim a little high to get the arrow to hit where I want???
Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Wihunter yes I am shooting the regular trykon with a 29" draw. I bought it 2 seasons ago to replace my PSE Nova that I first got to start bow hunting. I love it!!!! I would trade it for anything!!!

AF looks like some good stand locations! Might have to jump river and come to IA!!!! lol

Mobow- that exact thing happened to me last year on the piece of property that I hunt along the missouri except mine wiped out both of the food plots that I had put in!!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 AM

Coop, you will need to aim a tick higher, but if it's not much of an uphill grade, it won't matter much.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: palmergt3

Wihunter yes I am shooting the regular trykon with a 29" draw. I bought it 2 seasons ago to replace my PSE Nova that I first got to start bow hunting. I love it!!!! I would trade it for anything!!!
Shoot me your mailing address and I will send you the cams I got. The bow is gone and I am not having any luck selling them. I purchased the Trykon with 28.5" cams and bought these new. The guy that bought the bow needed the 28.5's so I have these left. Not sure if you have the 80% letoff or 65% but these are 65%. They are used but in great shape. I want nothing for them from you. If you should ever damage yours you will have a back up set. Just send me the address I can mail them to.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

I just got done measuring distances:

1. from my front stoop to the new stand is 1080 feet.
2. the longest shot I might have to take from the new stand is 40 yards
3. from my front stoop to the two stands the furthest south is 2640 feet
4. the longest shot I have in the right one is 30 yards
5. the longest shot I have from the left one is 20 yards
6. the stand in between the house and the southern most stands is 1800 feet
7. the longest shot I have there is 30 yards.

I need to get stands in that southern most part of the land I can hunt, but cannot afford anything 'til I find work.[:@] I know there are some huge bucks bedding there, but since I just got permission not that long ago, I know I'll have trouble with trespassers this year.

The only thing I wonder about where the newest stand position is, I might have to take a slightly uphill shot. I have never done this and wonder if I would have to aim a little high to get the arrow to hit where I want???
You must be CRAZY BORED to be measuring the distance to your stands. I sure hope October 1 comes quickly for you.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not totally bored, just wanted to know the distance so I know when to leave the house to get there at the time I want. Guess it comes from being an analyst for 30+ years. Saw the landowner just before I started mowing and he told me about a 12 pointer he sees going by the stand almost daily.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you are not totally bored. Good luck popping that 12 pointer.I sure wish I had some bucks that big running around to get excited about.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a 16 pointer down here running around too. He's the offspring of "Ole Grandpa" who as the story goes, was seen on the land I have permission to hunt for 10 years. No one ever got him, and that 16'er I saw last fall and early in the summer. He has got to be at least 4.5 years old and massive. From the photos I got of him last year, he'll be a new world record typical if he can be caught. All I ask is for one shot at him @ less than 60 yards (although I'd be happier if I had one at him @ less than 40). What a thrill he'd be. I also believe there are other descedents of Ole Grandpa running around here that would be world class bucks each and every one of them.

There is also a buck we call Bat Masterson here. This guy has garbage all over his head and each one of his tines is rounded (not pointed) and flattened like he has 15 or 16 ping pong paddles on his head. I've seen that one once, but we all believe he beds down along the railroad tracks (where it is illegal to hunt). I pretty much know I'll never get a shot at him, but am sure some poacher will find him on the tracks.

Keep the faith brother, you're gonna have a very nice bruiser offering you a shot at him just so we can take the title this year!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Hey gang sorry havent been around much. I have been looking very hard for deer with little success. I had a few Large deer around my stand that seemed to have disappeared. I dont think I did anything to disturd them. I am hoping it is just that time of year.

Cool experiance this weekend at my property in Upstate NY had aBIG Black bear (guesstimate) 97 yds off the deck! Never seen one in the wild that close.

Quick Reply: Official America's Team Thread (19)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.