Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 17 Official Team Autumn Assassins Thread. >

17 Official Team Autumn Assassins Thread.

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

17 Official Team Autumn Assassins Thread.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Autumn Assassins

Might not be a "monster" but I and many others would sell our kids for a shot at a nice wide healty deer like that. Sure does seem like a wide beast. Atta Boy...
Sigh.........I wish my season would open..
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could post some pics of something. We did not see any elk to shoot at. We did find alot of wolf sign and they were howling above us at night. I think they pushed every elk out of where we hunt. We did relocate and I bumped about 5 elk but it was too thick to see them and get a shot oportunity. It was good to be in the mountains and getting snow each day. We did find remains of a horse tied to a tree that got eaten by wolves or a bear. It was kinda creepy. I am not sure what that was all about but it definetly was a horse and it didn't look to be to old.

I am ready to start getting after the deer now. Lets keep the scoring going and keep them afraid. (Very afraid)
Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 PM

Just great John!!! Way to get us started, a great buck, very wide too. Sorry i missed your call. Just got back from hunting yesterday.

Better luck next year Wheatley. I'm pretty sure I owe about 99% of my elk to beginners luck! Weird with that horse
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it was. The only thing I can think is someone was maybe baiting the wolves or bear to try and shoot them. I have never seen a horse tied to a tree by one leg, but maybe people do that though.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to TxHogHunter and the reigning champs. Look out boys here they come.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Iowabob85. Sometimes its better to be lucky then good.

-john
Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Hey John, we dont do just pictures here!!

Give us a story man!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Well i've been out three timmes. Seen deer every time, but none I wanted. Only a week of bow season left. Hope my luck improves.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Now for the rest of the story...

The day I shot the buck was miserable. I swear that the wind blew in all 4 directions. It was at least 90 degrees. I like to have long sits in the afternoons so I had been on the stand since about 2:30. I had seen several does early but the last couple of hours of light had been real slow. As legal shooting hours drawing down I heard hogs about 75 yards away at another feeder of mine and I figured that after hitting that one they would drift on down to the one that I was watching. With about 10 seconds of legal light left this buck eased in there. I thought he was broadside, but apparently he was quartering to me a fair bit. He did the big kick when he left. I heard him circle around behind me and thought man I drilled him. I waited on the stand another 10 to 15 minutes and got down to look at the arrow. As I was walking to it I see about 5 or 6 hogs headed my way. Its dark to the point that they don't see me. I get behind a cedar and put my release back on, nocked an arrow, came to full draw, and then step out. I have a hog broadside at about 25 yards. He was smelling the blood trail left by the buck. The only trouble is I can't tell which end is which. I watched him a little bit and then the dumb S.O.B. took a half step backwards so I decided, incorrectly, which end was which and shot him right in the guts..... Anyway I pick up my arrow from the deer and saw blood but I also saw stomach stuff. Man that hit my hard. I decided to go back in the morning to look for him. I have never left one over night but just new that I needed to now. I picked up the trail in the morning at about 6:30 with a flashlight. He ended up traveling about 1000 yards before he died. In some places there was a lot of blood and in others just 3 or 4 pinhead sized drops over 50 or 60 yards. The last 300 yards there was no blood at all. When I found him he was still alive but just barely. He picked his head up twice and then that was it. When I cleaned him I found that I just got the very end of the heart and the very front of the stomach. The shot was also a little low. I guess thats the nice thing about the rage 2 blade. They make a nice hole in one. I had joked with my wife that if I found this deer it was solely due to the comanche blood from my mom's side of the family....no white man could have track the deer though some of the stuff I went though...LOL.

-john
Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is impressive John. I can't track a deer beyond sight. Colorblind as a dog.

BB, best of luck your last week of the season. I thought that mule deer would go on through their rut. Can you go into more detail on that for me?

Quick Reply: 17 Official Team Autumn Assassins Thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.