Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread >

36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread

2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread

I am headed out for my Trophy doe!!

Mauser good luck

Rob you have dig me 3 times now, I think we are even[8D]
Old 12-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

well....yesterday we had a good buck in MY area..2 guys got 2 shots off at it..but no good. that was about it for yesterday...nassssssty windy..

came home..was chopping kindling wood with a hatchet at about 5pm. hit my own hand..sat around till 830 or so and decided i needed stiches..it wasnt BAD..but wide open atleast 1/4 inch and about 2 inches long across the top of my hand..only an inch needed stiches..any deeper i would cut vains and tendons...but i was at the ER all night till 1130..got 5 stiches...didnt get to bed by 11 how i wanted so i didnt get up to sit in my stand this AM..

but we hunted at 11 till dark driving...my buddys cousin killed a half rack near my area..it had 4pts on one side..busted the other off at the pedical...not the buck i shot or any of the others we been seeing..someone jumped it across the road and that kid just got lucky..didnt even come from our drives. i seen 11 does today. both areas i seen them in were area that the land owners let us hunt but asked us not to shoot does. too many guys kill way to many around here and i can understand that and respect their wishes...

our "group" has shrunk big time. we used to have a really good group of guys..but they all disappeared. GFs, work, moved away etc...havent been having a good season really as a group. most years im about the only guy buck hunting by now...alot of the regular buck killers are still hunting..

all motivation to become a better bowhunter. get my buck before anyone else...i can drive for the group in rifle season. rifle season is just too crazy..there were 5 vehicles parked in my area today..all had groups of people...luckily most of them stayed across the road...i dont know if my bigguns still alive or not. im patiently waiting for the late season and the snow...i am kinda excited and still might have a shot at him if he aint dead and we dont get him by next saturday. so we will see...xmas break before the late season im going to do some heavy scouting on my days off if we get some snow...i wanna find me a biggun and put a muzzy through his heart. rifle hunting just doesnt do anything for me anymore. even if i shot a big buck i wouldnt be too excited. id get more excited of a doe i shot with the bow i bet.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Germ

Rob you have dig me 3 times now, I think we are even[8D]
I told ya, pay backs are a beeaaatchh...[8D]

Luv ya bro!

m06, your young, I'll forgive you but don't you know a month leading into deer season and throughout the follwowing days you not allowed to do anything, anything that will jepordize a day afield. Rookie mistake. The only thing your allowed to do prior to and through the season is sit in a tree, at your desk or on a couch, no dangerous things at all. That's what I have my wife believing.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

lol...i was just tryin to start me a fire to keep warm rob!! im the idiot youll see out there hopping on one leg one day hunting..a couple seasons ago i had a TERRIBLE case of MONO the week before thanksgiving. i was laid up all that week and all thanksgiving week. Thanksgiving day was my first day outa the house and i still couldnt stay awake. told my dad to goto camp without me..we walk too much up there and i didnt wanna hold him back...sat i managed to get the gun shot for double checking purposes(i shoot it all year at groundhogs) and monday morning i made it to my spot..the group came through about 11 and i was a sitter on the drives the rest of the day. i was better...but still shouldnt been in the woods..but thats me...and i can be THAT hardheaded when it comes to me hunting. the DR told me gun recoil couldnt rupture my spleen...i still think hes full of it and dont know the recoil the mauser will lay into your body. but hey....im alive!!

the stitches hurt when i woke up yesterday morning...but there wasnt a question as to wether or not i was hunting. ill be hunting wed(hopefully) and friday and sat with em in too...10 days with these nasty suckers...its healing up rather quickly i think..im doin alright....the DR suggested i take off work this sunday(today)..thats why im up at 5am...i been tryin to call off since 1130 last night..someone finally picked up the phone!!! i took my DR excuse out there last night but still had to call...i dont know why lol but whatever...the DR said lifting heavy stuff and doing my job may rip them out....and i got a good bit of work to get done when i wake up so i can hunt wed. my farmer friend got a friend right near campus that he said me and my buddy might beable to hunt wed morning. the first day that guy seen 4 legal bucks. passed 3 and shot the 4th....so we will see..if i get my paper written before then im good to go...

if nothing else the stitches will make good conversation with the guys from the park service at my interviews on monday...better come up with a better story then i cut it with a hatchet though...dont want them thinkin im an idiot and cant work a hatchet

nite nite boys!!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am still keepin' the faith.

Good luck to you guys still hunting for your buck!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

well.....as rifle season dwindles away im getting more and more excited about the LATE season...day after xmas...good thing is i dont have school AT ALL...so my days off im in the woods! another plus? S N O W with any luck...excellent for finding where the big bucks are left and hanging around....got a trip to my buddys camp planned for the day after xmas for about 4 days or so...if we aint deer hunting we will be grouse hunting...so far 2 out of 3 of us havent tagged our bucks yet..so we may be deer hunting hardcore..we will see....i got wed(MAYBE) and friday and saturday left to rifle hunt...things aint lookin all too promising...as of saturday the drive leader hasnt taken a buck yet!! thats way longer then i ever remember him going without a buck!!! just kinda rough this season.....definently going to change my ways of hunting for now on. i want big horns on the wall....the best way to get them will be with the bow......this year definently changed me.....the transitional stage between gun hunter and bowhunter. ill still hunt with the flintlock..but i think ill be about DONE with the rifle if i can help it for now on......

btw...the hand is AOK...stitches are doing good...but MAN are them things ITCHY!!!! wow i wanna rip them out...but they catch on everything and it pulls them and it makes it sore! a hand is a bad place to get stitched...i cant even get dressed without bumping them...im also fighting a nasty cold right now[:@] gunna get to bed earrrrrly tonight and get some rest...

keep at it guys......
Old 12-05-2006, 04:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Having never deer hunted with a gun, Mauser......I can't speak intelligently to the subject. I know from what I see on TV......it's not fro me. I also look at some of the gun hunters around my area......and I don't even want to be classified in the same category of "Deer" hunter....with them. They turn my stomach.

I know we have some unsavory bow hunters, too.......but the bow hunters I associate with are some of the most ethical guys out there (that I've seen). It's really a non-issue, for me (as to whether or not to gun hunt). I've got a chance to go to VA for a muzzleloader hunt in Jan. I may take my son and let him shoot. I cn drink coffee back at camp......and tell lies. We'll see.

I'd love to have some antlers on the wall, too.........but it honestly wouldn't mean a thing to me to have them up there......via a gun kill. I'm just being honest with you. I'm also only speaking for myself.

Good luck.....and I'll be happy to see you pick up the bow, again. Im betting it's gonna feel a lot better in your hand than you think.

Good luck, Cap'n.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff...im not like most gun hunters. i put in as much time scouting my gun areas as i do my bow areas..i put in the time at the range with my rifle and shoot it all year round, i still practice scent control and hunt the wind..

ok...you know i participate in deer drives...but they arent the kind you hear horror stories about. i dont think we had over 10 guys all season. most of the time its only 2-3 MAYBE 4 drivers on a GOOD day with a couple guys..but most the time its just a couple drivers...we have more deer beat us then we kill...and we combined put in more scouting than any bowhunter. we combine all our knowledge of all the areas and where we see the deer, know where the deer will be, knowing the land and where the deer will go etc etc...plus limited man power..we dont have any wounded unrecovered game, noone gets shot at etc..thats just the way we like to rifle hunt...after first light on the first day driving is the way to hunt at home.

but after hunting with both the bow and gun i definently favor bowhunting. much more of a challenge and not BANG splat. what really turned me was last year..i had a group of 6 does come through...one looked like a COW compared to the rest..i wanted HER. if im shooting a doe i generally take the biggest i see..well they all stopped 50yds through the woods..her body was blocked by a tree..she poked her head out and looked back away from me. BANG..right into the back of the head. i didnt even think about it. i KNEW she was meat in the freezer and game over for her. i dont like to hear the average joe smoe taking headshots...but i know my weapon because i shoot groundhogs out to 300yds with it. a deers head at 50yds is a walk in the park...but thats what made me want to bowhunt even more. i get super excited to see a deer with the bow in my hands...seeing them with the mauser in my hands barely speeds up my heart rate. ill get somewhat excited after the shot..but it aint the same!!

im definently ready to pick up the bow again. if nothing else ill accomplish scouting for next season...

oh.....and i cant pick up the bow till after rifle season anyways...i think that would be a killer on the stitches...

just woke up feeling alot better...colds almost kicked!! AND i woke up to the first snow that laid on the ground!! wooohooo!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff...im not like most gun hunters. i put in as much time scouting my gun areas as i do my bow areas..i put in the time at the range with my rifle and shoot it all year round, i still practice scent control and hunt the wind..
m06, I know that and I know Jeff does too. It's just not the same for us. I've been there and as a fellow PA'ian, hell we know, it's a night mare. I know you want the meat, don't blame you but I'm hoping you really score late season.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

m06 can you hear the call!!!

Ohio is calling your name!!!

Quick Reply: 36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.