Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread >

36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread

can't wait til tommorrow it's the youth season, but it's does only. Hope it dosn't rain all day.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gr8, your too funny. Enjoying the contest much? And with ladies like ours, we won't be crying if you know what I mean.

Brent, great, keep us posted.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

brent and SB good luck!!

last afternoon after work(and working over because im too nice and easy going[:@] even though i had plans!) i went and talked to my farmer friend. he was busy planting hay for next year..but pointed me to a ridge and told me the areas he thought had the best potential and where he sees them. he said theres about 10 diffrent bucks using the area..and he said he thinks 6 or so are 4pt to a side legal. with 2 using my spot pretty regularly that are whoppers..a 10 and 12 he seen ALOT. the spot i picked looks amazing. theres a trail that runs the ridge. the ridge is a mix of 2 stands of pines, 2 crab apple thickets(im right between both) grapes, and white oaks dropping CRAZY. im down in a small dip between 2 hills. the fields(with corn and hay) are 50yds away with 20 yds being hedgrow thicket with a trail coming from it. behind me is a finger and thicket that goes down into another set of woods with a trail coming out of it. as soon as i got to the top of the first hill and looked down the hill i seen turkeys. a bunch of them. a hen and BIG poults. they didnt even run! i was 15yds from them. ill be waitin on them! lol LOTS of deer sign. pretty easy access since i know the area....15-16 yds to the trail that runs the ridge and 10 or so to the trail coming behind me. pretty open little spot, but only for 20-25yds..and my tree is in a stand of hickorys.

all looks too good to be true...and thats when i found the TREESTAND. its old and abandoned looking...but told the farmer and hes almost 100% sure he knows who owns it..and last he heard the guy quit hunting. i shimmied the tree to see if the screw in steps were fresh and found the tree is growing into the steps so its old. hes going to talk to the guy and make sure...but i hope all goes well. looks like a GOOD spot...other guys might try to get in there but ill be the first one there...im excited. the farmer told me not the be afraid to pass the smaller 8s. i dont know if i can...its my first year of archery. a legal 8pt will make my YEAR. and with the whole township after them bucks like i think they might i just dont know...it would be AWESOME to slam one of the whoppers...but id be happy with a basket 8pt this year. but i do have the orchard too plus my spots at school and other spots around here. when they walk by we will know my decision.

i also went to another field and practiced with my summit viper and shot from it. the viper is super easy to use, quiet, and boy is it comfortable! shooting from it did not change. even with bad(diffrent from ground) foot placement i was still on target. i was a little shakey shooting from it at first but my frist group at 20yds i slammed shafts together. took the target out there FAR lol. looked like it was a mile away. climbed the stand..called it 35yds...put the pin on and drilled its 3 times. dead deer no doubt. i wanted to take it to 45 and 55 just to shoot(i got 5 pins and mocked the 45 and 55 in place with the same gap..but never shot that far..plan to next year just to do it....but wont shoot a deer that far. 35 in PERFECT conditions and a sleeping deer lol..i slam shafts at 35yds but add in some buck fever..and the elements and i just rather not shoot far on live game.......im excited!! dont know if ill stay out there all day or goto my orchard..my doe tags for here DID come. i may goto the orchard and try to get me a doe under the belt...or the farmer may have a good evening spot to hunt....but then again my spot will likely be an AWESOME evening spot. i think it will be a staging area before they goto the fields for the night....
Old 09-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

slipped to page 2.....

figured id let you guys know..my farmer friend called me today. he talked to the guy he figured owned the treestand i found. he said the spot is all mine...long as i dont get beat to it...he even said i could park at his house...but i have a feeling the deer may come from that direction. im excited..tick tock tick tock.....i think that stand may be a better evening stand then a morning stand...i may have the farmer delivere me lunch so i dont gota leave my stand....sad thing is i know he would do it too..he wants me to slam a buck more then anyone in the world. he is our drive leader in rifle and muzzleloader season. he dont like the cold much. he does it because he loves me...he dont mind rifle season but once the snow is on the ground and its COLD he gets a little fussy. if i got a buck he wouldnt even bother driving in flintlock season..atleast not as hard as we been doing. he loves to hunt...but he makes a living farming and is busy...and dont like the cold lol...cant wait...less then a week!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Every day we're closer mauser06, good luck.

fsh shot a beautiful buck for Team 16. If you get a chance check it out in the Official Score Card thread and stop by 16's thread and congratulate him. A dandy 158" 10 point.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice buck for sure Rob, give us something to shoot for!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

If/when I shoot a 150 class buck like that, you all wouldn't hear the end of it. I've been waiting my whole life for one like that. They are so hard to come by in PA, at least where I hunt. They are around, just not abundant.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

And another day closer to Saturday....tick tock....how's it going guys. Mauser06, I know your waiting with me too.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

hangin in there rob...hangin in there. since i plan to sit ALL day the first day(like 15hrs or something absurd like that) i bought a pouch for my summit viper to store stuff in since my backpack is small. use the backpack for food and water and the pouch for saftey line and random accessories. im excited. first day im hunting the spot i talked about. then then monday morning ill hunt somewhere..havent got that far. during the week ill hunt my spot up here. a buck makes a rub and scrape line in the same spot yearly. ill be waitin for him this year. first friday evening ill hunt my spot at home where im hunting the first day..then saturday evening ill be in the orchard waiting. i cant wait but the rest of the wait will go fast. between sleep, class, book work itll be thursday and ill be home before i know it. friday i work 7-2 then ill be home to do the final detail "packing"...pack the truck and get a little sleep if i can. hope i can last from 5am-dark the first day.....hopefully i wont NEED to though..first day im holding out for a buck 4pt or better to a side. the doe population in the area is a little weak since passed years..it gets hunted hard in rifle season..so ill save my doe tags for the orchard. i dont think ill have too much of a problem taking them out of there. couple days left...
Old 09-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys back to work on Tuesday, I am looking forward to Sunday. Yes, Saturday I will be thinking about of you PA guys. I am hoping fo a SW wind, if so I am hunting the standI call "rail road grade". Where the old rail road went through. The grade, River and two field meet. There is corn in the south field.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: 36- Team"Bro's B4 Does" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.