Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread >

23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Deer 1 Rocky 0

Man what a difference when you find where the does are, had a doe come in to the rattle 1st thing this am at 7:20,then another showed up at 8 but they wouldn't come close cause of my scent I had hanging in the scrape .I had estrus on a rag over the scape and I know does that arn't in estrus will stay clear of the scrape.
At 8:05 the 1st buck of6 came into the scrape and did his thing,about a 130 4x4,and watched him scent the does and take off,8:30 a better 140 5x4 came in and I was going to shoot him but said no. Wife is ticked too[:@][:@]. Then nothing till 10,in came 3 imature bucks with the best being a 3x2 and they followed the same procedure as the other 2 bucks ,scenting the does and off on there way.
Then just about as I was going to call it quits for the morning at 11,I rattled once more for good times, right away I heard the crunch of the snow and I grabbed my bow and he was right their right now,broadside at 14 yards in front of the scrape.He did everything he was suposed to do and now it was my turn. He turned to lick the branch and I drew on que,I held for about 15 seconds till he gave me the broadside shot& I let fly the montec. A majestic 6x6 perfect symetry,a good 170ish buck.To my total disbelief ,I shot 3 inches over him[:'(].He bolted 20 yards and wondered what the heck had just happened. The good Lord gave him another day, and I need to go to the lanes to shoot and see what went wrong[]. I haven't shot in over 2 weeks and might have jarred my sights,oh well chalk that up to the deer.
So to my surmise I can say the deer are looking but the does arn't quite ready yet. If you can, get on stand and wait them out guys.I'm done till Monday ,then I'm sittin for 12 straight days from sunup till sundown[8D]. Good luck and shoot straight. God Bless
Rocky
PS Buell, now I know what you mean when you said you just blew $30 bucks on the arrow,mine broke after trying to get it out of the frozen ground[:'(].
Old 11-10-2006, 08:25 PM

I have a good feeling for this weekend for all of us.
The rut is almost here!
We got some snow today in NE Iowa and I am hoping some of it stays around thru Sunday.
Good luck everyone!

Merc, get that buck scored, you're killin me!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys Here is my story! Yup! I scorednothing to really brag about andand will not really score a ton but should put us another 80 to 100inch or so on the board?(7pt)
I took him at 7.38 am saturday morning.
He is not one of the real good bucks i have been seeing but we can take two bucks here in GA,so i took one for the team the next will be hopfully much better i just didn`t want to eat tag soup
Rocky man i fill for you! What a buck to have that close WOW!
sounds like you had an awesome morning seeing all those monsters running around.
Guys the pics i have are not great. I left my digital camera at home And i was 42 miles form home so i called my wife which was already heading to where i was. I told her to stop somewhere`s andpic up one of those cheap little camera`s you can but like at wal-mart. well? Some how She found the cheapest peace of S$%T Money can buy!I mean this is the biggest pile of crap i have ever seen. "I can`t blam her"dumb me!If i had not left it at home[:'(]Well anyways?
I do have pics and will be posting hopefullysometime today..
I will have the score tomorrow just have not had time. Good luck team.23
rta47..terry
Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys here is a couple of the worst i mean the best pics i could get!
I will never forget that digital camera again!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

And one more. But what the heck the score will count anyways[&:]
Old 11-13-2006, 11:39 AM

Good job RTA, on the buck, those pictures do suck!
I got nothing yesterday[]
I saw a nice 8 point but he would not cooperate.
I passed on a 37 yard shot on a 4 point and saw a spike that didn't come in(I wouldn't have shot him anyway)

Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM

Great Job fellas!!!!!

I'll go ahead and apologize now. I am sorry! I still have not seen a deer! ANY DEER,while huntin by myself. I'll see em when I hunt with my son or my wife, but not when it's just me and my bow. It is getting very frustrating and disappointing. I have changed locations, tactics, times I go out, during rain, heat, skeeters, walk/stalk, I tried all kinds of things. I'm not giving up though, but I don't know how long I can go out and just watch trees grow. It's just been SO long since I've seen a deer while I'm hunting. I think this break from hunting will do me some good.

This week will be busy for me at work and I'm not sure if I'll get to hunt this weekend or not.

Keep it up fellas, I'm still tryin,
Waid
Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, regular archery season is over here in PA, I may get out during gun season with my bow, we'll have to see.

Here is the score: Deer 2, PAHUNTER21 0

I fortunatly had the past week off of work. Monday I had a really nice 8pt (110+ I would guess) in at 10 yards. No wind in the woods, no noise other than him walking in the leaves. He came up from behind me on my right side. Stepped behind a tree and I drew. Only my drawing arm slid underneath my harness strap and made a noise. He heard that and ran to 35 yards and walked away out of range.

Tuesday, hunting a different stand, I got in well before light. I could hear a buck rubbing some trees on the powerline that runs along the plot of woods that I was hunting. At first light, i was able to see that he was a small 7 or 8pt. I gave him a couple grunts and he came straight across the powerline and into my plot. Made a new scrape 25 yards from me and made a rub. A couple minutes later, he angled in to me and came in to 5 yards. I drew, but had a hard time lining up my peep and couldn't get a good view of the deer through it. I got it the best i could and settled in behind his shoulder. Squeezed my release, and *THWAP* Right into the middle of a sapling 3 yards in front of me. The arrow is still stuck in tree about 15ft up. Here The sapling must have been so close, it is what was making my view blurry. STUPID STUPID mistake.

Anyhow.. All my buddies came up with a new nickname for me... Vegatarian. LOL.

The rest of the week, I had some smaller (non-legal) bucks in range and plenty of doe, but no other shooters. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Sorry guys. Good luck if you still have time.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Folks
Got out late today as we ran in to paper work that was wronged by the place we were to get our tags from. Anyways we got out and in stand by 11:30 during light snow and a wrong wind[:@].I didn't see a thing but Steve saw 2 does and that was it, Heard some crashing in behind us and thought i twas the local bull moose that we didin't get to seeor shoot. Temps were 15 when we got out and 19 when we went in. Snowed all day too.
We'll get at her early tomorrow and oh yeah ,Congrats RTA on your buck,some more points will help.Take care and God Bless
Rocky
Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

RTA are you sure of that score? It seems a little low. That buck looks closer to 110". Hard to tell with that photo though. Can't tell how many points but those main beams look like 24" and that looks like 17" inside spread and some decent mass throughout the main beam. Anyway congrats on a nice buck.

Quick Reply: 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.