HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread
Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
PAHUNTER21
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Well guys, regular archery season is over here in PA, I may get out during gun season with my bow, we'll have to see.

Here is the score: Deer 2, PAHUNTER21 0

I fortunatly had the past week off of work. Monday I had a really nice 8pt (110+ I would guess) in at 10 yards. No wind in the woods, no noise other than him walking in the leaves. He came up from behind me on my right side. Stepped behind a tree and I drew. Only my drawing arm slid underneath my harness strap and made a noise. He heard that and ran to 35 yards and walked away out of range.

Tuesday, hunting a different stand, I got in well before light. I could hear a buck rubbing some trees on the powerline that runs along the plot of woods that I was hunting. At first light, i was able to see that he was a small 7 or 8pt. I gave him a couple grunts and he came straight across the powerline and into my plot. Made a new scrape 25 yards from me and made a rub. A couple minutes later, he angled in to me and came in to 5 yards. I drew, but had a hard time lining up my peep and couldn't get a good view of the deer through it. I got it the best i could and settled in behind his shoulder. Squeezed my release, and *THWAP* Right into the middle of a sapling 3 yards in front of me. The arrow is still stuck in tree about 15ft up. Here The sapling must have been so close, it is what was making my view blurry. STUPID STUPID mistake.

Anyhow.. All my buddies came up with a new nickname for me... Vegatarian. LOL.

The rest of the week, I had some smaller (non-legal) bucks in range and plenty of doe, but no other shooters. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Sorry guys. Good luck if you still have time.