Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

hanging deer

Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hanging deer

haha, we get a deer that is upward of 280 if we are really really really lucky. but my uncles are all at least 6 foot 6 and jacked. so getting them into a gator s no problem, and we usually dont have to drag it more than 200 yards. but there are those rare occasions.

whatever works for ppl, its all bought how you learned to do it, and what you got to work with. deep thick woods of maine would be tougher to do our way.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

ORIGINAL: Canadian Chic

we always hang our dder by the head and skin it from the neck down. we find if there is any extra fluids in the body cavity still, that they drain out a lot easier

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

i noticed in another thread that someone had hung their deer by the head. how many other ppl practice this??? i dont and you never see it in new england. i think its degrading to hang a deer this way. imo. whats everyone elses thoughts. and i dont want the song and dance that
"if your gonna mount it" cuz my brother is a taxidermist and thats a false statement
i dont think the deer really cares how you hang it, we all have to remember now, its dead by the time its hanging, head down or head up. lol

-CC
thats why its called feild dressing then when you hang it up you finish splitting the brisket. all your "fluids" will drain i assure you.

besides, i shoulda known you would hang it by the head being up there in canada lol
ok well all in all, i dont think it really matters how you hang the deer.

-CC
Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

nope, to each his own
Old 09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

pretty much. andys last post summed up pretty good think. i just thought it would be interesting to see how it was done in dif. parts of the country. it cool how much techniques change from place to place

somethin different that andy got me thinking about is, whats the furthest any of you have ever dragged a deer?? some of you can ppretty well drive to them it seems other not so much and places in the northeast you might as well forget it. for me and my ol man the furthest was an 11 pt. he shot up in eustis that weighed 209 and we dragged it about 2.6 miles according to google earth. took 7 hours. i bet it would have tqaken longer on bare ground im sure
Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

farthest drag, before we got the gator. dragged my deer that was in my pic. in the biggest buck thread. weighed 235, dragged it little over a mile mostly up hill. but like i said, 4 guys all over 6 foot, 6 and at least 260 of muscle, they move it pretty quick lol
Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

my farthest drag was a little over a mile. it was a big nine point my buddy shot. dressed out at 195. we drug it just over a mile according to google earth, an amazing thing.