Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer still hanging

Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Spike

Default deer still hanging

ive got a good one for you guys. ive got this person that lives a few miles from me. he shot a very respectable doe during black powder. the deer is still hanging our season here in vermont ends on december 10. what do ya think about that? i myself think its B.S.[:@]
Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer still hanging

umm....... i think that deer would ev went bad by now if the weather gets a little warm or just from so long out side they should have cut that up in the first week at the latsest for me mabey you should tell them to butcher it up if its good enough if not thats just a waist
Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

What a waste. No way it is still good. I let mine hang for about a week but need cold temps out of the sun.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was the hide removed? might not be hanging for the intent to consume by humans, maybe something else.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Spike

This is the kind of thing our "friends"[:'(]at PETA would love to see! If you're fortunate enough to take an animal, use it. I know all about hanging meat to age and agree with the practice 100% but to hang for 3 months is rediculous. Maybe it was something wrong with it and they did'nt want to eat it, perhaps itis beingused for predator bait? But by no means should itstill behanging in view of the general public! Gives us all a black eye!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Spike

that deer i was telling everyone about still has the hide on it. its hanging in a tool shed with no door for all to see. there is no baiting for predator hunting. i do believe the person also hunts other places then vermont. so hes got to much meat?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

i dopnt know but that is a waste of meat i would have loved to eat that meat when it was good

Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

When my grandfather (deceased 20 years ago) was a kid, there was no refrigeration. They slaughtered a beef or two each year, hung them in a cold house for months. It was essentially a shed, and the roof and walls (about a foot thick) were filled with sawdust for insulation. Blocks of ice were cut from local ponds and placed on shelves inside and the whole thing kept cool way into summer.

His mother would send him out to cut various pieces/steaks off the hanging sides of beef. He said during the late summer there was a black ring of dried flesh a half inch or more thick around the outer portions of the pieces. They would trim that off and eat the rest. He said it was the best meat he's ever had.

Now I can't vouch for this particular deer, but kept in a shed out of the sunlight, I don't find it hard to believe at all that the deer could still be good. This is VT after all.I knowthe animal was frozen solid much of the time it has been hanging.

Then again this guy could be a moron who never got around to dealing with it. Hard to know without more info.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:51 AM

If you dont eat it, dont kill it douche-bag!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:53 AM

I mean your neighbor is the douche-bag. lol

Quick Reply: deer still hanging

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.