Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

hanging deer

Old 09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hanging deer

i noticed in another thread that someone had hung their deer by the head. how many other ppl practice this??? i dont and you never see it in new england. i think its degrading to hang a deer this way. imo. whats everyone elses thoughts. and i dont want the song and dance that
"if your gonna mount it" cuz my brother is a taxidermist and thats a false statement
Old 09-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Default RE: hanging deer

Ive heard of them being hung by the head on rare occassions but ive never seen it done.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Ive seen it a few times, it's just personal preference. In my opinion it is just much easier to sking them starting at the back legs and working down towards the head.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

since i have been around deer hunting i have been involved in the killing of several hundred deer and we process our own each fall. its just one of those thiungs thatbother me. its like a pet peeve i guess. ive seen it a few times as well i just dont like it. now the moose we kill we hang by the horns but for some reasoin i see that in a different light.......maybe its me haha
Old 09-01-2008, 05:15 PM

When we kill a moose or anything that large we are usualy so far in the middle of nowhere in Canada that we have ot pack it out so there is no hanging it.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

in northern wisconsin most people (close to everyone) hang deer by the neck its something i grew up seeing realy comon up in my neck of the woods
Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

retakes, our moose have to be taken to a check stationa nd have to be in tact. no quartering. so when we get back to camp we wrap a chain around the base of their horns and up they go.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:07 PM

I've never seen it in person and I dont do it myself. But I have seen pics of deer hung like that. I'm like you sky, I don't like it at all. But, to each his own.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's easier to gut if its hung with the head up, but most hunters, myself included, gut the deer in the field on the ground. And deer are alot easier to skin with the head towards the ground, especially if your going to mount it.

I have never seen one hung by its head.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I only gutted one while hanging once, and it was a mess haha

Quick Reply: hanging deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.