Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hanging the deer

Old 11-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default hanging the deer

Deer-gun season opened in Ohio today, and of course, I hope to get one. My question is about hanging the carcass. It's freezing over nights, but reaching the 40's and 50's during the day. Can I hang it outside in the shade? Will I have to butcher it right away?

My garage stays at a constant 60 degrees, so that won't work.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:01 AM

Default RE: hanging the deer

I would recomend skinning it as soon as you hang it but as long as its in the shade and relatively cool it should be good for awhile. If it does warm up, I would suggest butchering it pronto! If you for some reason unable to butcher it you could put bags of ice in the carcass to cool it down. I know alot of people who do that when hunting mulies in the fall.
P.S. Im from saskatchewan so the only thing i have to worry about is the deer freezing
Old 11-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Leave the skin on and hang it in the shade. Prop open the cavity and maybe cover with a cheese cloth bag to keep clean and just in case the flies out. It will cool down enough at night with out freezing due to the skin being left on. And by the same token , during the day the skin will keep the carcass insulated against warming up. Provided it is not in the sun and the temp. doesn't go above 55 for any length of time. If you want to really be at ease leave an instant read thermometer inserted into a ham. I hang mine in the garage and leave the door open at night and close it during the day and have never had any problems. You also way want to butcher after 3 days at those temps. All in all I think the meat will stay at about 40-42 degrees given your circumstances.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

aw yea, you are fine! I llike to age mine, i dont butcher mine right away i give it aleast 48hrs. good luck, its time to kill the does for me!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 AM

No problem at all - that temp range is below what we just had in Texas, and all our hanged deer (in the shade, wrapped in 'deer bags') turne out great.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mine is scun and butchered the same day. dont hang it