Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sunflowers and Millet

Old 04-24-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Sunflowers and Millet

Hi all

It will not rain here. I have peredovik sunflowers and a pasture that was renovated to about 6 inches and got rained on a few times. With the 120 day to mature I wanted to wait since dove season is Sept 1 basically. Now I'm running tight. I went and disced twice today but its not deep at all. Maybe 1-2 inches. Hard and dry. There is always a threat of rain. But none so far.

How long do I wait or do I plant dry. I'd really wanted to disc and then wait and roundup and then plant. But a few medical problems got in the way. Now I need to know what to do.

Also will plant another piece next to it in millet. But I'm hoping I can get 90 day or less millet and wait till a wet June for that. Any millet help is welcome.

FWIW this is all cattle pasture land and I don't have a way to bust it open other than the renovator and disc.

Thanks for all help

Jeff
Old 04-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sunflowers and Millet

is it "shooters choice" peredovik sunflower seeds you are planting? i planted them last year on may 3 here in kansas. they were not ready to be bush hogged by aug 25th, i could mow them by the 2nd week of sept. since you are in a warmer climate than me, i think you'll be ok if you plant them in the next 2 weeks. i'd apply a preplant herbicide if i was you. prowl or treflan. both are inexpensive and labeled for sunflowers.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:15 AM

I don't think its shooters choice. What I could read in general was 120 days so needs to be up by May1 which can't happen with our drought. But the I suspect I should go ahead and plant half the plot next weekend and just drag over it so that if it does rain good, it'll be ready to go?

Jeff
Old 04-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

yeah, plant half the plot so the seeds are already there. once they get some moisture they'll start growing. you don't really want to disturb the soil after any rain since that'll accelate evaporation.