Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sunflowers or millet

Old 03-20-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Sunflowers or millet

What is easier to deal with, and works better for dove? When do I need to plant it, I have tractors and such. What do I need to do? Etc. Etc.
I hear sun flowers are lots of work!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sunflowers or millet

corn or sunflowers are best for dove, plant sunflowers and cultivate them to keep the weeds down, they are not much trouble at all..
Old 03-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

i plan on using 2 pts of treflan and 3 pints of prowl in my flowers this year. my soil test showed a high organic content. last season i just used treflan at 1.5 pts/acre, and it was very weedy (pigweed). there was no clean ground.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM

I'm going to plant both. Down south in TX if you can find an actual millet field it'll be as full if not fuller than a sunflower field.

Funny thing about sunflowers is my cousin farms over 3K acres and they are constantly trying to get rid of them. Seems like a weed and shouldn't be that hard to grow. Of course trying to grow them on purpose may be totally different.

I think I'm going to have to plant on different dates though....
Old 03-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have planted millet for ducks, the guy I planted for 2 years ago already approached me to plant some this year .
Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 PM

heyrost495, are those wild sunflowers or brown-eyed susans you're referring to?

jap. millet is great, but i prefer brown-top millet for seed production. nothings easier to grow them millet!

here's the millet trifecta: (left to right) japanese millet, browntop millet, and barnyard grass (wild millet)

here's what my atv looked like after an early morning cruise through my marsh
Old 03-23-2005, 05:17 PM

Thanks for pictures Im almost for sure I will be planting jap. millet!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Funny thing about sunflowers is my cousin farms over 3K acres and they are constantly trying to get rid of them. Seems like a weed and shouldn't be that hard to grow. Of course trying to grow them on purpose may be totally different.
When I plant wheat and it seems like the darned things are everywhere. Sunflowers don't have to be planted. Just plowing a field or dozing a fenceline is plenty. If there is a bare spot on the ground, sunflowers will be growing there in no time.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:45 PM

Wild Sunflowers. Have mini sunflower seeds. There is about a 300 acre field across the road from one of his fields thats never has much of anything but sunflowers and the wardens claim its got the highest number of dove in the county.

I just never picked any seed years ago. Should go do it now but will have to live with what I can buy this spring. I was hoping to broadcast seeds but now I see the production times are different so may just have to divide the field into strips. Milo, Millet, Sunflowers.

Have buddies that used to hunt millet fields in South TX for dove and they said it was always unreal.

Jeff