Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sunflowers - for fun.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sunflowers - for fun.

I've planted Sunflowers in the past - I tried them for deer - and while I liked them for small game - they did nothing for me as far as deer go. Still sunflowers are fun, colorful and can work with corn.

This year on a very wet section of corn I planted, I tossed a pound of sunflower seeds (birdseed actually)on the plot after the Roundup Sraying in July. They grew - but could have benefited from Nitrogen - and/or less rain.

The flowers aren't huge - but the plot is nice to look at!

If doves were legal in NY - I could really enjoy plantinga serious sunflower plot - but - as it is its easy andjust for fun.

FH
Old 09-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sunflowers - for fun.

I agree!! Here is the first one that popped this year! It was my first year planting them with the corn!

Old 09-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

Man thats looking good!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

i've planted sunflowers for the last 4-5 years for doves. the deer might eat about 5% of the crop but other than that they leave it alone.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Psandu,

I planted an acre of flowers this year, but it's been a real bust. I plowed, disked, used Dual Magnum as pre-emergent. I used the smallest seed plate I had but not small enough, so did have way too many plants. Came up clean, stayed pretty clean to 18", cultivated. Plants matured, heads were admitedly small but plenty of seed. I think what killed me is just before maturity in August, I got a ton of grass. Relatively short, 12" or less, and not even all that thick, but enough apparently so the birds didn't want to go in. I've mowed and disked several passes to create some bare ground, and still no birds. I live in good dove country so this has been frustrating. Do you use a grass control herbicide and if so, when do you apply and at what rate. Treflan?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:31 PM

they do make a round-up ready type of sunflower now.
it is expensive. check with QU or other seed suppliers specailizing in dove fields
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great pictures and crops as always Farm Hunter. If you plant some beans and squash with the corn you could have the three sisters covered.

http://www.nativetech.org/cornhusk/threesisters.html

Dan O.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:54 PM

Looks good FH. I think I am going to plant some next year just for my eyes if nothing else.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

yeoman,

i used treflan and prowl. i don't remember the rates off the top of my head but i think it was 1.75 quarts/acre.i disk it a bit so that there are alot of clods. spray it, disk it twice in different directions, then plant. there is established johnsongrass in my field too. i used a herbicide called Select to knock it back. It's $205/gallon, but I found someone from the grain elevator that would sell me a quart privately. Select did a very good job of suppressing the grasses, but it did not kill them.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

Psandu,

What is the idea behind discing one time before spraying?

Quick Reply: Sunflowers - for fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.