Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Honey suckel

Old 12-15-2004, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Honey suckel

I have native Honeysuckle here on the farm. The only place it grows excessively is on the pasture fence. In the timber, it is sporadic and seems not able to spread much. At this time of year the deer have just about removed the leaves on any they can reach, leaving only the ones to high in the trees to reach. Not a bush, a vine. According to the old folks here, it's been around here for 50+ years or more. Definitely not invasive, wish I had more. Better than a food plot.

Russ
Old 12-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Honey suckel

People probably said/thought similar things about purple loosetrife, Japanese knotweed, and multi-flora rose also. Point is, althougth they may grow great and produce good food they may not be ideal to plant. There are other, more suitable options.

here is a good sight for NY info on invasives:

www.ipcnys.org

Here are some suitable alternatives:

Jap Honeysuckle - Trumpet Honeysuckle; Lowbush Blueberry; Gray Dogwood; Sweetfern; Fragrant Sumac

Shrub Honeysuckle (Lonicera morrowii & Lonicera tatarica) - shrub Viburnums; shrub dogwoods; American Fly-Honeysuckle; Bush Honeysuckle (Diervilla lonicera); Elderberry; Spicebush

Some of the Honeysuckles mentioned above may very well be alternates that are not invasive???

ok i will stop my "preaching" on this subject