Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turkey and Deer plots

Old 12-07-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Turkey and Deer plots

A buddy and I are planting a food plot for deer with Milo and want to also include an area with some food for turkeys as well. Anyone ever planted food plots for turkey? If so, what have you used that worked well?
Note we don't want to use Chufa. Have heard a few use that and not do a lot of good in the area. Any information would be appreciated and thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 AM

Default RE: Turkey and Deer plots

never planted it in my plots,but there are a few sogrom felds around where I hunt and I see turkeys in the feilds feeding all the time.after they cut the socrum the birds really go to the fields.if I were to plant for the birds and didn't want chufa,I would mix some field oats and sogrum,mix in a few peanuts,they love the nuts and deer like the green from the peanut vines.all three will reseed them slef.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

ECM, I've planted quite a few things for both deer and turkey. I have had the best luck with some of the perennial clover blends. I've tried Biologic and Imperial Clover and the Imperial seemed to be more attractive and for sure it lasted longer. That Imperial field has lasted for almost 4 years (planted spring 01) and during deer season we have had a good increase in sightings. (no kills directly in the field, we don't hunt directly over the plots). We hunt the staging areas leading to the plot and last year took the two largest bucks since we began keeping records in '96.

The other plus we found with the same plot was turkey. They are all over the plot during hunting season. The spend quite a bit of time eating and buggin in the fields, morning and afternoon. We hunt around the fields and have taken 2/3's of the turkey we harvested within 200 yards of the clover patch.

You're in IN, be sure to soil test and add lime if necessary. One thing for sure is the pH needs to be correct.

Just a thought, good luck.

SB
Old 12-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a product out called " Rut n Strut " I think it is offerred by the NWTF, have no idea what it consists of , maybe check their website. I think it NWTF.org
Old 12-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Spike

I planted a plot here in Indiana with a mix that I bought from the Indiana chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation. The mix consists of alsike clover, red clover, ladino clover and white Dutch clover. It is pre-inoculated. I planted the plot 3 years ago, and the deer use it regularlly. The turkeys are not too plentiful around this part yet. The state transplanted turkeys in this region several years ago, and there is a season on them here now. I have seen a few there, and this spring there was a hen with chicks in the field. It seems to be working. The plot is starting to thin out now, so I plan on over seeding the plot next spring. There may be a chapter of the Turkey Federation in your state that you can check out. If not maybe you can contact the national chapter for help.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Spike

I did not notice ECM747X, that you are from Indiana also. You can get the seed from the Indiana chapter the way I did. I got my mix thru my brother-in-law, who is a member of the Federation. He paid $28.50 for a 25 pound bag. That was in 2002, so I guess my plot is going to be 3 years old this coming spring. I think you have to be a member to buy it. Don't know for sure. You can check it out.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hard to believe that the turkeys wouldn't take to the chufas.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too like clover for Turkeys.

They eat some clover - but mostly are attracted to the BUGS in the summer months. Also - clover usually grows low enough that a turkey feels comfortable in it. And in the Spring - low growing clover plots make great displaying areas for Mature toms.

As for seed bearing plants for turkeys - I've tried several - and found that corn is best for winter months with snow. Plots of Buckwheat, soybeans, cereal grains never seem to offer food at the right time - at least not in my area.

In the fall - our turkeys are looking mostly for seeds of ash, cherry, beech - also apples. No plots seem to "pull" them off the natural foods (except maybe a fresh spreading of manure - YUCK!).
Old 12-09-2004, 12:08 AM

Hey All,

Thanks a bunch for the ideas you have given me. It is much appreciated. Have a few ideas now to ponder over. Thanks again....
Old 12-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

My Strut'n Rut plot is doing well and the turkeys are in more than the deer. Probably because we have more turkeys than deer. They like the AlphaRack also.