Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Winter deer plots???

Old 02-25-2004, 03:57 AM

Default Winter deer plots???

I've noticed lately around here that the deer are turning heavily to browse type feeding on twigs and even evergreens . In Illinois now it has been outlawed to put out corn to help the deer stay strong through the rigors of winter. I feel like the deer in this area are under a great deal of stress because of the lack of availability of even marginal quality food. I'm looking for something to plant, that may not be preferred by deer all the time, but that will interest them when not much else is available, and that has atleast some quality nutrition in it. I know some of the popular fall plantings such as turnips will work well, however I have turnips plots out and the deer have eaten them to bare dirty a long time ago. I'm looking for something that produces good tonage during the summer, and like I said is not preferred by them when other quality food is available, but that does have some appeal to them once mother nature shows her wrath for several weeks or even months. Is there such a thing. Please give me some suggestions, and any explanation you can as to why this planting would fit my needs.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:56 AM
Spike

Default RE: Winter deer plots???

Its hard to beat soybeans and standing corn for late season deer food. However you must plant large plots of atleast 2 acres or the deer will wipe them out before they mature. The deer really go for the standing soys in Dec. and Jan. when the temps are dropping into the single digits. I planted 6 acres of soybeans and corn last spring and the deer are still hitting these plots and have'nt touched my turnip plot. My plots really pulled the deer from surrounding areas in the late season and I plan to plant 7 acres of corn and 3-4 acres of soybeans this season.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:06 PM

Don't know the nutritional content but here in Pa. Purple top turnips work good. The deer consume the big leafs and stems in the fall and the big turnips that are left growing half way out of the ground are then consumed later. They are still digging through 16 inches of snow to get to the turnips and the turnips are still there. I like this idea because they wont over browse them as they are growing. The leaves are bitter until frost hits them and sweetens them up. Then they are able to come back and find the big roots at a later date. Also there is absolutly no waste. The total plant and root is eventually consumed. They are fairly easy to plant and grow also.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd plant clover & corn. The clover for when the snow isn't too deep - and corn for the rest of the winter. I assume you can still plant corn?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

During the winter the deer need digestable carbs. Some winter wheat, peas and some other goodies...
Old 03-07-2004, 08:32 PM

Look into planting buck oats or winter rye. Both are green throughout winter. plant corn and supplement the corn field after season.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:50 AM

Before you garried away...remember that deer are browse feeders and in many cases will prefer that to any other food source depending on the time of year and the available choices...Browse feeding is not an indication of something wrong...they are just being deer.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 AM

rape is a good choice also. it takes a couple good cold frosts to get the sugars going for the deer to like the taste. it also produces a ton of vegetation. the draw backs is it might take the deer a couple plantings to get used to them especialy if your in farm country.