Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plot over use

Old 12-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Food plot over use

Has any one ever had a problem w/ their plots getting over used? I want to plant a clover plot this comming spring. It will only be about 1 1/2 acres next to a ceder swamp. We have tried to do our part to control the deer herd by harvesting mature does every year w/ some sucess. The last 2 years we have taken 6 does and 0 bucks to try and balance the herd. But my concern is that the new plot will get over used. There is a 60 acre alfalfa field right next to it. Should I be concerned? There are a lot of deer in the area. During the summer there are a minimum of 20 deer in the alfalfa field in the evening.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Food plot over use

Check out Plot Saver at http://www.plotsaver.com/
Old 12-09-2004, 02:17 PM

I will say that your food plot being over used is a very possible problem. This past summer I made a one acre clover food plot and I was wondering why it wasn't growing, it got about 1 1/2" tall and seemed to be at a stand still. The first time I bowhunted over it 15 does came out onto the acre plot, I guess it just shows we have to harvest more does. With the Wisconsin Earn A Buck program this year a lot of does in the area were shot so I hope next year it's not destroyed to the degree it was this year. But overuse isn't a huge problem, there still is food value there and I had buck sign everywhere around it.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a 60 acre alfalfa field right next to it.
No - I would not worry about it being overused - not one bit - because of the adjacent HIGH PROTEIN plot. In fact - when faced with that scenario - I would let the Farmer plant the alfalfa - and I would plant a WONDERFUL fall plot of winterwheat/rye - winter oats. Maybe some brassica mixed in. An attraction fall plot.

At best - a 1-2 acre clover plot might offer about the same nutrition - atrractant - as alfafa - MOST of the year. A cereal grain plot - planted in late August will pull those 20 deer every night - to your property - and best of all -its cheap - and when its most appealing to deer is during the hunting seasons.