Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plots for deer

Old 10-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Spike

Default Plots for deer

Hello,
I have read through the different topics and have tried to come to some conclusion on what to plant but there are so many different ideas spread across so many different topics. I thought I would just place all of my questions/concerns in one post. Here goes.

I am converting an "L" shaped field of approximately 5 acres from corn/soilbeans to food plots. The field is located in Central IL and surrounded by timber on one side, pasture on the other side and crop fields(corn/beans) on the remaining. There are plenty of deer in the area and my goal is to try and get the deer to stay on my property, promote healthy growth andmaximize antler size if possible. In addition I would like to provide several different varietys that will provide food throughout the year.

Things to consider:
[ul][*]I do not own my own farming Equipment and must rely on a neighbor who is a farmer to work the ground. Although he is a nice guy I dont want to make this to much of a burden.[*]I am thinking of planting several long, narrow strips of different plants. Any comments?[*]Because of the problem of borrowing my neighbor and his time I thought it would be best to plant perrennials.[*]Soil samples have been taken and the results should be back very soon.I would prefer to have lime added at the same rate on the entire field. Will this be a problem when using different plantings?[*]Can you suggest a fertilizer suitable for any recomended plantings (something that might work on everything) The farmer who just harvested the corn off this ground said there should be plenty of fertilizer in the soil. Should I take his advise or go ahead and fertilize?[*]Will it be best to get the planting done within the next few weeks or should I wait until spring?[*]From what I have read it sounds like Ladino clover is a must - What other recomendations would you suggest while considering the above information?[/ul]
I know this post is long and has a lot of questions but I dont want to go through the trouble of having the field converted and it doesnt provide the desired effect because I missed one important step. If any of the experienced food plot growers would like to comment on what they would do given the above circumstances I would appreciate your input.

The picture shows the field with a small amount of standing corn in the corner.

Thank you,
Troy

Old 10-28-2005, 06:04 PM

Default RE: Plots for deer

If thereare other crops in the area it may be difficult to have a better draw for the deer. But, you never know unless you try. Several different types of plants would be needed for year round nutrition. With limited resources perrenials would be best. I would definitely wait to get the soil test results back before continuing, and it's awfully late in the year anyway. The soil test will tell you if you need to use additional fertilizer and lime. The fertilizer your neighbor used for the corn is probably gone, and was used by the corn.

As far as lime, try to follow the soil test reccomendations; a 6.0-7.0 ph soil will grow anything you would want for a food plot. Clover and alfalfa would be my choice for perrenials. Give them something different from the corn and beans. Good Luck!