Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick >

NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick

Old 04-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Spike

Default RE: NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick

One positive point about some of the deer blends. A lot of times it's not just one kind of clover. They provide a mix a different clovers. Or better yet clover and other seeds. I don't know, are deer like humans and they like a variety? An example: Biologic makes a product called Green Patch. It's made up of 21% Brassica's (cabage like plants), 40% Clovers (what kind I don't know but with there research I trust them), and 29% Wheat and Oats. That sounds like a pretty good mix to me. If one thing isn't pulling the deer in maybe the next seed will. I think that the inflated prices that the whitetail seeds include the cost of their testing and mixing of different seeds, not to mention that pretty marketing bag they have to put it in to attact people. I prefer to take their research and apply it to my hunting right away so I don't waste years trying to figure out what works. That would be my two cents. As for lime and fertelizer I do go cheap. Co-op and a lime spreader are the best way to go.

bowbow
Old 04-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I heard a comment today that I want to share with the guys who want to find a less expensive way to plant. It came from a guy that sells Imperial Clover. My comment to him was why was the Imperial Clover a little higher than the co-op varieties. His reply.........

"It's hard to be the cheapest and the best".

Damn it, I want the best. I don't get to hunt but a few weeks each year and the last thing I want is to have a failure or use something that saves a couple of bucks ($$$) and doesn't work. It isn't worth the risk and every time I try it, something goes wrong. I may drive across town to save 5 cents a gallon but my plots will be the best money can buy.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

I got info on the Durana that Pennington from a research station that tested it. They couldn't tell the difference between it and the other varieties that have been out for 50 years. Great name though.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: greg-dude

Have to disagree with Osiris. As far as I know cows and deer are both rumants with four stomachs each. Their teeth are similar as well. Their eating habits do differ (graizer vs. browser)

Their are differences in types of clovers as far as the stem is concern in relationship to its agricultural uses. Most of difference has more to do with whether the clover is used as a hay crop vs. a graizing forage. For a hay crop, a more upright species is preferred such as red clover. For graizing, it doesn't make any difference. Finer stem species are preferred by both deer and cows.

The engineer stuff may just be hogwash. It use to generally takes years to engineer a specific variety through selection trials, although they have new techniques which can increase the process. Those "deer" varities are just strains with high protein that deer prefer. The rest is advertisement and selection trials of multiple varieties.
This is true. Cows and whitetailed deer are both ruminants and I doubt there is any significant difference between clover that is suitable for cows and that which is suitable for deer. It's a marketing ploy most likely.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

One last suggestion from me...

Especially if you do not have a lot of experience -

Go to your local Co-op, try to go early in the spring, go when you can spend some time - and not be in the way. Talk plainly and honestly about what you are trying to do - DO NOT get into a big managament discussion - I learned alot from these guys, and have had them give me some REAL good advice and deals on partial bags of seed, etc.

Look, buy the name brand stuff too if you want, and buy a local variety/mix that they reccomend for deer when you get your Lime and or fertilizer, you don't have to mention that your are.

Personally I like the Co-op option better - but still I buy some Name Brand stuff every now and then and most of its pretty good stuff too.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Guys - I am not saying the co-op seed is better or worse than the commercial stuf. Heck about all you can get around here from the co-op with out special ordering is red clover. What I am saying is that the stuff I bought is the exact same variiety and blend that comes from tecomante. It is Huia and Pitau NZ white clover. Look ag the DOA seed tag required on all seed sold in the U.S. My seed may have evean come from the same bin as the Tecomante. The people at Modern Forage have the contract to sell Tecomante the clover seed.

All I am saying is with just a little time on the internet and a little bit of study you can buy the exact same blend without the pretty bag for half of the price. The Same companies sell the the chickory as well.

The commercial companies do all the all the reserch and then have to tell you exaclty what they put in the mix. If you find the exact same mix from the exact same farm that they get there seeds from from wouldn't paying the big money be just throwing that money away.

If you guys can can afford that throw the money my way, I could use it. Just joking.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Your right Farm Hunter it can be cheaper to go to the co-op. But if the co-op doesn't carry what you want and you have to look elsewhere by the time you spend hours looking it. (Don't forget the 2.00/gallon gas) now it is cheaper to buy from a company that has already done the research.

I'm sure your are successful in trying to save a few dollars but I bet if your off-work time is of any value to you......you are not saving money. Personally my idea of a good time isn't wandering around in a co-op when I'm off work.

I'm not saying your wrong in you way of trying to save money but for the small amount of money you save someone can make it up with by not adding a sunroof to your $40,000 4-wheel drive or wait another year before trading in your $5,000 4-wheeler or even use the camo you wore last year instead of buying the latest camo gimmick. Then you can avoid wasting time in a dusty co-op.

Hey, just another opinion.....