Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick >

NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick

Old 04-20-2004, 07:32 AM

Default RE: NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick

Some of you guys sound like you have agricultural background. Remember that there is a big difference between those who has some type of background in agricultual and those that don't have any. Try to help out those who don't know some of the secrets.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:20 AM

Here's a trick I tried. I have a lot of clover (I beleive that it is Dutch White as I asked on this site about a year ago). I let the tops seed, then mowed and caught the clippings. I scattered the clippings in our horse pasture. Now there are large spots of clover growing in the pasture, but it rarely gets over 1-2 inches tall. the horses and the deer both keep it clipped, but it is still spreading, slowly.

Russ
Old 04-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ditto 1sagittarius-

Keep in mind that many clovers used in baled hay for Cattle/Dairy is mixed with grasses (timothy, orchardgrass, rye grass, etc) - its usually red clover in my area. Most farmers around me do not use ladinos for hay because it does not dry well.

It is sometimes hard to split the hype from fact - but most co-ops I've dealt with have been very frank, and helpful to me. DO NOT believe all you read on the packaged stuff, however - most of thier products are good - and for $10-20 more you do not have to do any research into clover varieties.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

All here are a couple of good loinks to some seed producers:

www.rbseed.com

www.modernforage.com

Good luck guys.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Also there are several seed companies out there. Don't just use these links. do a serch and if you guy's find some good places to buy let me know.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-23-2004, 01:44 PM
etw

Clover. Check out www.penningtonseed.com. This September they are unveiling two new white clovers. Durana and Patriot. They were jointly developed by the Univ of GA and New Zealand Ag. They claim a single planting of Patriot to provide up to a decade of healthy growth. Excellent nutritional quality, and the best conception rates ever, are some of the claims. I have both Imperial and Bio-Logic clovers planted (and Tecomate Chicory), hey the deers love em' . It boils down to $$ and time. Every tried TrophX or Gemax? www.trophx.com. Pennington treats their Rackmaster blends with the Germax. I tried 1/4 acre of their Rackmaster Fall blend (annual) it grew quick and is just now dieing (Texas). They have Rackmaster Ladino clover blend as well. This new Patriot sounds like its worth a try this fall.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:08 PM

You better believe that cows will eat the same clover that the deer use in foodplots. And deer will eat the same clover as cows. There are variety differences and some varieties will perform better in cattle pastures or hay fields then others. Each variety may have differ preferrences by deers and cattle, however, I believe it likely that both species will prefer similar varieties if allowed a choice. The varieties with small stems, high leaf to stem ratio should always come out on top versus larger stem and lower leaf to stem ratios.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

First let me say I'm new to the forum. I went back thru some past pasts and found them interesting but your comment on the NAHC article and having a bone to pick, well imagine that.

Of course they will mention the companies that make it possible for them to send out the magazine thru the ads.

In my opinion, some of the blends that are available are very good. I tried like many who use this forum to save money and in almost every case it it did save money but the adjacent plot of the branded mixes out performed the co-op variety and lasted longer.

I found when my son did the math that I really wasn't saving money or at least not much money. An example was our clover fields. We bought a bag of clover from a co-op and another bag from a well known food plot company. I was skeptical about spending the extra money but the food-plot company seed grew quicker and lasted 4 years instead of the 2 I got from the co-op seed. I saved $30 up front but in the long run it was more.

I can't say that all the food plot companies stuff works better but the co-op varieties but in my test it worked out to be cheaper. The reason I mentined this is it seems this forum is about how to save money and in my experience saving a few bucks up front isn't always a real savings.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.