Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How Much land?

Old 01-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How Much land?

Within the next five years or so, I want to purchase some hunting land. I enjoy small game and deer hunting, using centerfire, shotgun and muzzleloader. My goal is to buy as much land as I can afford, but what is a realistic minimum acreage to purchase, and still be happy with?

I know there are a lot of other factors in determining good hunting land. I am limited to central/southern Ohio. I will plant trees, clear areas, create a water source if none is available, etc., whatever it takes to make the land better.

My experience in hunting has always been other people's property, and I do not want to rely on that. I am by no means wealthy, but I can forgo a car payment, plus some extra speding money on a land contract payment.

Ay input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Much land?

I wonder the same thing all the time. I can't wait till I save enough $ to buy a farm. I'm looking for 100-150 acres, but w/ semi-close proximity to Northern VA, land isn't cheap.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think I'll "buy the farm" before I can affored 100 - 150 acres!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 09:05 AM

If you hunt alone, I would set a lower limit on 20 to 30 acres in an area that the neighboring land parcels have good habitat. On this small acreage you will be able to do little as far as deer herd management without the coorporation of your neighbors. Of course you will be able to create foodplots, enhance natural habitat, create bedding areas and create your own little paradise. If you do other hunting on the land, care will need to be taken not to drive deer out of the property if that is a concern to you.

Somewhere there is a magical number of acres that you can own, where the parctices on the neighboring land will not have too much of an effect on the game population on your own land. It varies by wildlife species and their home ranges. Larger the wildlife species' home range, more effect the neighbors will have on that species. Few can afford that magical amount of land when deer is that species. That's why I would buy land in an area where the neigbors have good habitat.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:13 PM

No matter what you settle on, 5 acres, 10 acres, 20 Acres, theres no feeling like it. Because it's all MINE MINE MINE!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Where isn't much better feeling that hunting your own land. I think my signature tag say it all.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:41 AM
Spike

Eto I was in a similiar position as you three years ago. I became frustrated with losing hunting areas that I had alot of time invested in. So I decided to purchase my own piece of ground to create my own whitetail haven. My best advice to you would be to look for a property that is in good whitetail habitat, but that is not connected to another chunck of timber. Find something isolated and I would look for atleast 20-30 acres of timber and another 10-20 acres of bare ground for food plots. The last thing you want is someone sitting right on your property lines hunting over your property. I know the SC part of OH fairly well and If I were you Id try to find ground that isnt surrounded by farm fields as this will make your food plots that much more appealing to the deer in the surrounding areas. If you could find a piece of propery like I describe that has good soils to raise quality food plots, a good mix of mast trees and a water source you would be set. Just dont rush in and buy the first propery you see that looks close to what you want. Take the time to check it out because there are some things you can change about a property and there are others you cant. If you would like shoot me an email and I can tell you more about my own property in the works.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:53 PM

We own right at 100 acres in SE Ohio and in a perfect world you could buy land that is secluded from everyone, but down there every swinging you know what deer hunts, especially during gun season. You will have people hunt right on the boundary and you will have trespassers. That's just the way it is down there. In my area, we have very few fields, mostly all wooded. My uncle just got done buying 5 acres backing up to ours that is flat and we are eventually going to turn it into a food plot. It is nice having YOUR own land to hunt on. This piece of property has been in our family now for over 20 years and I love hunting on it. Lots of deer and turkey. We have 3 neighbors who have land butting up to ours, 2 out of the 3 hunts, the other one says that their land is a "preserve". I am guilty for hunting right on properties lines, in fact the deer I shot this season fell right on the line. Isn't that where the best hunting is at?