Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Feelings on leasing land and buying land? >

Feelings on leasing land and buying land?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feelings on leasing land and buying land?

Old 05-03-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Feelings on leasing land and buying land?

In my county(southern Kansas)alot of people and small time outfitters are leasing land from the major land owners some of them live in the area but some of them only hunt the land a couple of times a year. Some of the farmers who are leasing the land let us hunt and tell us to stay away if we see a vehicle that we dont recegonize.

What are your feelings about this?

Old 05-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Feelings on leasing land and buying land?

Depends on what the lease says. I'd be pissed if I was leasing property only to find out that the owner was letting all his friends, neighbors, relatives and drinking buddies hunt the land too.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

If someone is paying to hunt property seclusively and you sneak around to hunt it .In my mind your a trespasser and unethical hunter and even a poacher
Old 05-04-2006, 02:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know the details of hunting leases, but I'dguess that the land owners are leaving themselves open to breach of contract suits.

I know that many folks resent "outsiders"coming in and buying or leasing up land that "locals" have hunted for generations.It can be a tough pill to swallow, but it comes down to the landowners rights. Another issue can be how tactful the new owners/leasers are in handling the situation. There are good ways and bad ways to go about doing things.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

As much as I despise leasing , the lessor has shelled out good money for exclusivity and has every legal right to expect it . How would you like it if you improved your property only to have some local yokel sneak in and poach on it ? Hunt somewhere else , that land is no longer open to you .
Old 05-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been hunting leased land all my life. When you lease, you lease 100% of the hunting rights to the property, unless there is specific mention of what you don't have in the lease. Sounds like the farmers in your area are being unethical to the people that are leasing their lands. Unless you want to hunt public land with everybody else or have your own family land, it is quickly becominga necessity to lease if you are going to hunt.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

I hate to seeleasing happening and I think it sucks myself; the almighty dollar, too bad. I wonder if landowners that lease their land realize that once money passes hands that regardless of waivers signed or whatever agreement is reached that ultimately if a person is hurt or killed on their land by these leasing hunters that a trial by jury will probablyrule againstthe landowner and the group that leased the land. Once money is involved liability on all parties involved becomes a factor. I would like to note that leasing in no way affects me; I just hate to see it happening.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well its not good to take advantage of any one. That said I really feel that pretty soon the only people that will be hunting are the rich, And we have no one to blame but ourselvs. Leasing in my opion is wrong and a great big step in that direction. For the average Joe to talk to a farmer and with a hand shake hunt can't do it any more in a lot of states. I used to live in S.E. Virgina and spent days if not weeks trying to find a place to hunt. Forget it everyone leases their property to hunt clubs. and a lot of times the hunt clubs would not even hunt the small lots but they would lease it any way just so the little guy coulden't hunt. Well in my state the law is if its not posted you can hunt it. If its not posted pernission is assumed. I hope we never get that leasing here and ruin the great sport of hunting here. Thats my 2 cents on the matter.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mike,

One problem is that a lot of folks just assumed that they would always be able to access hunting land without owning it. So, they spent a hell of a lot of money on 4-wheel drive trucks, 4-wheelers, guns, hunting gadgetry, etc. that would have went a long way toward buying a decent chunk of land.I too, was guilty of this to some extent. But a few years ago Iwised up and took the plunge onsome acreage. I did it just in time, since the price of land in that area has almost doubled in some instances, thanks to the deer huntingfad.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Well the biggest leasers in Fl are, Proctor&Gamble, Buckeye Paper Co, St Lucie Paper Co. and the list goes on. These leases are 50,000 acres on up. Then we have the National Forest which are WMA's of 500,000 acres and 600,000 acres. In over 50yrs I have never leased from a farmer, which we also have in Fl, never needed too.

Quick Reply: Feelings on leasing land and buying land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.