Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Want a plot to hunt over in early October >

Want a plot to hunt over in early October

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Want a plot to hunt over in early October

Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Want a plot to hunt over in early October

I'm hunting an area in southwest PA that is basically all forest. Just started hunting this area November of last year. I'm used to hunting areas with ag fields, and feel kind of "lost" hunting this forest area. The nearest ag fields are several miles away, and consist of corn. I have several great stand locations for the rut, but am severly lacking in early season locations. I know I can hunt the oaks when they're dropping, but I would feel more "at home" with a solid food source. The PA archery season comes in on Oct. 1st, and I'm looking for something to plant that will be drawing deer at that time. I was considering turnips, mainly because they are fairly cheap, but I'm afraid the deer won't really hit them till late in the year. On the property I hunt,there isfield approximately 2 acres in size, so sunlight is not an issue. I can get a roto-tiller back to it if need be. Haven't done a soil test yet, but will be in the next week or so. I'll probably plant at least a section of turnips regardless, just to help out the deer through the winter. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Want a plot to hunt over in early October

It sounds like anything would help, but I’d go with something that germinates easily. There’s no way you want to roto-till 2 acres of ground, so you need something that you can broadcast over minimally worked soil. A mixture of clover and cereal grain (winter wheat, oats, or winter rye) would likely work well.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

Instead of roto-tilling maybe see if you can get a sprayer back there. I would try to kill all the weeds off with a broad spectrum hebicide. Once you kill the weeds off I would try to till it or maybe just clear the dead growth with some time of drag. once you get to bare dirt you can broadcast your lime, fertilizer and seed.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

We plant Buck Forage Oats and the deer hit it really hard in October before the acorns start falling. I'm Northern MI so not too far away from you. I would recommend oats if you have the equipment to plant it.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

I planted Antler King's Honey Hole last year in Central PA with great results. The deer ate the rape and brassicas varieties early and fed on the turnip leaves right after the first good frost.Alot of the turnips were nibbled on and left to rot. I just disked them into the ground this year before I planted my corn and soybean.You can never go wrong with clover/ chicory. Next year consider soybeans, they will be ready exactly when our Archery season starts.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you said it was forest, make sure you pick an area that will get decent sunlight. No sunlight = very poor germination and production. You are right about the turnips -- the deer will pretty much ignore them until after a good frost or two.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like oats planted late, like mid August, so that when most bean fields around are getting brown you will have nice green oats.

Also, they are very easy to grow. Clear the ground to the dirt try to get some fertizler mixed in and rake the oats in. All you need is one good rain and they will be poppin.

Good luck man.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the advice. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do, but I have a much better idea now.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another vote for the Buck Forage Oats. The only concern I had was your climate, but if Robv has them in Michigan they should be fine there. Deer love them.