Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Help with early Turkey plot!

Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help with early Turkey plot!

Hello,

I recently leased some land in WI for Turkey hunting and wondered if you know of a fast growing turkey attractant I can put down right after the snow melts that will help to bring them in. My season starts early April. In the Fall I plan to establish a Prennial Turkey plot that will be ready by April of 2007, but need something quick for April of 2006. Any ideas Turkey Guru's?? By the way I have a 7 acre field to work with that had soybeans planted this past fall. The field is bordered on all sides by Hardwoods. I have water in the area and saw a flock of 25 while deer hunting in Nov., but none while bow hunting in Oct.

Thanks,

Cyber
Old 12-09-2005, 07:43 PM

Default RE: Help with early Turkey plot!

I talked to a guy I know, and he said the turkeys mowed down his clover during the early spring. Maybe you could give it a try, and it would double as a perennial plot as well. It should also attract insects and would be good for the broods after the season ends.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:58 AM

Some guys will say Im nuts....I am to a degree...

About Feb 15, go out and broadcast a 50/50 mix of Wheat and oats....all that fru fru stuff will be fine later but you need a food source early and have no time to get it started. Oats and wheat have a lot of bugs early and the birds love em...and they eat the wheat and oat sprouts....
Old 12-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Wooddust , would it be ok to mix the clover seed into the soilfirst since it's usually planted deeper than grasses ? I'd be a little concerned that the grasses would "shade out" the clovers before they could get established , is this the case or does the clover just push through them?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kevin1
Wooddust , would it be ok to mix the clover seed into the soilfirst since it's usually planted deeper than grasses ?
NO! you could bury the clover seed too deep. Just broadcast seed on the surface and cultipack, or let a rain bury the seed just under the surface

ORIGINAL: kevin1
I'd be a little concerned that the grasses would "shade out" the clovers before they could get established , is this the case or does the clover just push through them?
Yes, you should be concerned. Just go light on the oats and wheat, less than75 lbs per acre. The oats/wheat will give young clover sprouts some shade so it does not fry in the sun. When the oats and wheat turn brown and die the clover should take off and fill in with late summer and fall rains.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks 1Sagittarius !
The plot I have is a very small experimental one , so I have to be careful what I plant to avoid waste . Once I find what the local deer and turkeys will eat I have several other small areas that I'd like to plant as well , mostly for late season attractants .