Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Early Turkey food plot

Old 12-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early Turkey food plot

Hello,

I recently leased some land in WI for Turkey hunting and wondered if you know of a fast growing turkey attractant I can put down right after the snow melts that will help to bring them in. My season starts early April. In the Fall I plan to establish a Prennial Turkey plot that will be ready by April of 2007, but need something quick for April of 2006. Any ideas Turkey Guru's?? By the way I have a 7 acre field to work with that had soybeans planted this past fall. The field is bordered on all sides by Hardwoods. I have water in the area and saw a flock of 25 while deer hunting in Nov., but none while bow hunting in Oct.

Thanks,

Cyber
Old 12-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Early Turkey food plot

Clover would be quick starting. Then plant chufa. Turkeys love chufa.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 PM

Yes chufagoldfor sure that will help once it gets up good.Any kind of plot that you plant will help out both deer and turkeys they use a lot of the same habitat.You might even plant some corn later in the year for fall they like to brouse threw the corn field late in the year after the corn has been laid down or been picked.But anything you do it should help draw them in your area.Wish you the best of luck with it.Have a Happy Holiday.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:17 PM

I agree with the chufa and clover. I plant in different sections of my ranch, clover, chufa, forage hay, and knoda oats. The clover and chufa endulges the appetite, and the oats give them seed and camoflage. Ever since I sectioned plots for the turkey and quail, I have had the best tasting turkey and quail. They really respond to crimson clover seed, since it is very attractive and has higher protein. I also plant buckwheat, which the turkeys like rumaging through, and nest in. The quail, on the other hand, love the buckwheat to pick through. Theres nothing like introducing a healthier enviroment for the birds so in return if you hunt, then you can harvest a bird that you can sya you improved by diet and enviroment. I also will plant wildflowers bordering the plots, because this will bring in beneficial insects and damaging insects, which in turn the turkeys will eat alot of the insects that they prefer.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Chufa is great for turkeys. Keep in mind a few things. Plant after your last frost, chufa needs 90 days to mature and reponds well to sunlight and fertilizer. it can be slow coming up so be sure not to let weeds take it over. Clover is also a good fit. As well as some blends that dont have to be expensive..that have clay peas, buckwheat amd WG sorghum in it. It all will benfit the habitat your trying to creat. Good luck...if i can help let me know!