Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Had a good weekend at the farm

Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Had a good weekend at the farm

Had a good weekend and got some work done.. My clover from last year is doing well, the grass is def. trying to out-compete it though. Its been pretty wet lately, so I could only do so much, but overall good weekend.

Many of you will prob think this is BS, but when I rounded the bend almost to the farm, I immediately see a turkey hen, a turkey vulture, and this guy, all within 10 feet of each other.. Pretty strange
(He was mean!)

Some sunflowers coming up..A scattered some around the pond, but most will be in the sweet corn garden area.

Little clover "test plot" ..I was curious to see the difference between Imperial clover and the white clover from the seed/feed store.

Storm rolling in over the valley

The girlfriend loves the cub cadet

Pond management...Saved the xmas tree, weighted down with concrete. I did it on the other side of the pond last year.. The fish love it, especially the bass.

Before I knew it, the sun was going down and I was still in the middle of planting corn. Fortunately I got it done and was able to catch a few blue gills and this little cat by firelight..

The bucks are liking the new mineral site

Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Had a good weekend at the farm

good post! nice pics! looks like you have a good spot there!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Great pics, looks like an awsome spot. We get a lot of those big guys around here aswell.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turtle catchin is my thing!

Where do you guys stay at the property? Cabin/Camper? Or old school tents?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a great place. Nice cat also. I wish my pond had fish in it. Did you notice any difference between the seed from the feed store or Imperial clover
Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like things are going good Bowman!! and thats a nice looking GF you got there, I mean cub cadet[8D]
Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Turtle catchin is my thing!

Where do you guys stay at the property? Cabin/Camper? Or old school tents?
There'sa trailer on the property that the old owners of the property used to live in. Its pretty nice, has everything we need, plumbing, water, heat, air.. But I sleep out by the pond pretty often. Not on purpose sometimes
Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

haystack, haha thanks.. I just plantedsome of thekandy korn. I'm gonna plant the rest of it and some sugar buns in two weeks, and another round after that.We almost had a frost last night but it only got down to 39, so I hope everything will be fine. Its warming up a lot, and the ground has been warm enough for awhile.. I will probably be asking a lot of questions about the sweet corn this summer. Its my first try with it so I know I'll be learning some things the hard way.

whatisup02--it grows a little better than generic but its not worth the price. Comparing how muchsomeone wouldpay for white tail institute or biologic stuff,buying generic white clover seedwill give you alot more seed for the money, and it grows well.. (4 bucks a pound at the Farm and Garden store).
Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Fork Horn

Ya i bought the generic stuff I could get more for less. But it is nice to see the someone did both just to see.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Speaking of sweet corn and frost. I gambled on a early planting of Ambrosia sweet corn (planted Apr19) Well this morning we had 34 degrees and a skim of frost on windshields and roof tops[:-] But for the most part the corn was spared I only found one damaged stalk! I'm going to plant two more patches, 1 in two weeks and again the end of June. Hopefully that is the last frost until hunting season. Keep me posted on how yours is doing Bowman!!

Here's the damaged plant

The rest is OK

Off topic, but here is some Medium Red Clover, before it gets cut, this week. *Note my dog partially obscured. The clover is a little over 2 feet tall.

And deer around here love it

Quick Reply: Had a good weekend at the farm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.