Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Honey Hole experience?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Honey Hole experience?

Anyone have any experience using Honey Hole? Is it an annual?

Also, i hunt in a farm area and have a small clover plot that it seems like the deer dont touch. Theyre always in the corn/bean fields but when they combine all of those fields its usually too cold, which will hurt the clover, therefore having my plot useless. Will Honey Hole be a good "all season" plot? When gun season rolls around and it hits 25 degrees, will the deer visit this plot normally? Im sick of having to see a limited amount of deer because most of them are hiding in the corn, but then when gun season hits i dont see ANY deer.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Honey Hole experience?

I have used Honey Hole. It is a good all season plot blend. I planted an acre plot which laid fallow for 8 years, a little fertilizer was needed to balance the Ph and it did very well. There are however alot of turnips left rotting. The deer seemed to hammer the leaves right after the first good frost when the sugar was drawn up from the turnip.

This year I will be planting corn, soybean and a clover/brassica mix. I feed shelled corn the day after I am done hunting the area and continue to do so until my food plots start producing again the next spring.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

You are going to have a tough time drawing deer out of standing corn into a food plot. Why abandon food and shelter, especially if they are pushed out of the woods? Turnips may help. Deer really do love the fresh green tops in the late fall and winter. I would bet the deer hit the turnips, but it may be later than the hunting season. If nothing else, you would help the deer eat in the long cold winters we have up north. 4evrhtn is right, the deer will eat the leaves and leave the bulb. Clover tends to go dormant for the winter at about 25 degrees, so the leaves become less nutritious.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what is a good thing to plant then? I mean, why plant clover when its just gonna sit there untouched then eventually go dormant anyway? Maybe BioMaxx? I cant go another season like this not seeing anything while surrounding neighbors hardly put any effort into hunting and shoot everything. It sucks.