Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

WVHunter, What to plant

Old 04-14-2003, 07:22 PM

Default WVHunter, What to plant

I sort of messed up your post and would like to apologize. But I really think you can get away with clover in those bare spots, The clover in my yard is white, but I kon' t know what variety. It must be a sort of native. But it grows in my soil here and the PH is real low. If you have any yard at all, you will have spots of it. Like Dan O. said, let it seed out, turn brown and mow with a grass catcher. Scatter the clippings. Don' t sweat the ph, It' l grow. The thing that may happen is whatever you plant may not be sweet enough for the deer without the lime. I live in Northern MS and should be pretty well on a straight west line from you. And our soil? (mostly clay) is pretty poor. Even annual rye grass will come up and make a good cover and it is cheap.
Russ
Old 04-15-2003, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WVHunter, What to plant

Russ
Thanks for the input.
I doubt clover will do much in these areas...ph is very low. I' m not looking to plant a food plot, I just want to sow something that will grow and fill in the bare spots...and that the wildlife might munch on if they want (vs just plain grass). I may mix orchard grass, maybe some timothy, and maybe some ladino. I' m not interested in spending much $ on it. I already have a good IWC food plot not far from these areas.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:56 PM

Default RE: WVHunter, What to plant

I learned another little trick a few years back. An old time farmer, looking to rent my bottom when I was still working full time, as we walked the field, he reached down and pulled some grass and chewed on it. Told me that the grass was sweet, and any forage he planted would be palatable to his animals. The cattle, no problem, but the grass had to be sweet for his horses. I guess the trick of tasting the grass or whatever is grown gives a hint as to the flavor of the forage. I guess the old timers, before all the soil testing used this method to get an idea of how the crop would be.