Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to plant???

Old 01-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default What to plant???

Is there something to plant that doesn't need the whole soil testing and lime deal??? I want to plant small (very small) plots of something in a few areas... But the land is wet in some places and it is very over grown... I Am going to be clear cutting a few smaller long strips (15 feet wide and 150 feet long) and wanted to plant something in them... We don't go up there much, so I wouldn't be able to constantly maintain it... Is there anything that might work???

Thanks...
Old 01-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to plant???

anyone... anyone...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a real tough question you have.

Really if you cannot clear and care for the plot - it will likely get overgrown and lose its effectiveness.

If I were you - What I would do is clear an long, skinny - section like you described - and plant it with a heavy clover blend in June or even July if its still a wet area - plant it with some rye mixed in - but not much - and fertilize it with a couple bags of 15-15-15 all purpose type fertilizer. After the first year - I would continue to fertilize the Cut-over - and make another one the next year. - and so on. the fertilized cutovers would grow some clover & maybe some rye - until they filled in with young, nutritious, browse. Don't cu the old plat again - let it fill in with young browse.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:16 AM

Instead of going with the newer strains of clover, go with an old established type, like Dutch White clover. It's more tolerant of PH, and spreads quite well on its own. Use annual Rye for a companion crop, It even grows fairly well in partial shade. Also if you can get back there a couple times a year and mow it, especially when it is in bloom you'll spred it even better (Mowing it is like hitting a guy with a chip on his shoulder, it will fight back)

Russ
Old 01-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like ladino clover or improved white clovers (Alice). they can grow well in medium pH (mid to high 5s). Alsike tolerates wetter conditions but only lasts a few years. red clover will grow "anywhere" but again has limited life span. it is cheaper than the ladinos, as well. if i had no soil info and wanted something to try i would go with red clover and mix in a bit of ladino and see if it works. (knowing that it very well may not)
Old 01-13-2005, 12:16 PM

we have a few food plots and clover for us works the best it draws in deer and grows about any where and doesnt need soil preperation we just pulled a spike tooth harrow around and then threw out some seed. good luck