Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plot question??????

Old 06-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Food plot question??????

I have used Whitetail Institute products with great success! But I have put a small plot with an off-brand, which i had picked up at the local co-op.... It contains turnips, rape, clovers and chicory..... What is rape and how do deer utilize it??? Does anyone use rape or turnips in there plots and at what time do deer utlize it??? How well do deer like turnip greens? do they like them as well as clovers/chicory? Do have to wait until frost for deer to start to use it?????
Old 06-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Food plot question??????

I have been pushing rape and turnips on here for close to 12 years... Rape is a green like turnips and is a little cheaper for the seed and deer will just go crazy over it, same as turnips... Plant it in August and deer will hit it in the fall when other food sources are diminishing....
Old 06-28-2007, 05:54 AM

What RonM said. They will start to use them more after a good frost; it converts the starches into sugars and makes the greens taste sweeter. If it's a very small plot don't expect it to last more than a week or two if you have good numbers of deer.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

Does anyone use rape or turnips in there plots and at what time do deer utlize it??? How well do deer like turnip greens? do they like them as well as clovers/chicory? Do have to wait until frost for deer to start to use it?????
I've had some respectable Brassica plots in the past and generally offer my deer a choice of Brassica every season. As mentioned, it is a FALL planted forage and is generally planted in Aug or early Sept. I have learned that deer on different properties may not catch on to Brassicas until after the first season or two however. Remember that Brassicas need to "frost cure" so once the temps take a dip and a few frosts collect over your plot the sugars from the bulb move upwards towards the leaves and that's when the tear will tear 'em up. Brassica plot usuage is generally for the late season and in many cases, the later the season.... the better.

Here'sone of last seasonsBio-Logic plots, loaded with Brassicas.

Here's a Tecomote Ultra Forage plot, loaded with Rape andT-Raptor (hybrid turnip). Explosive growth and the deer seemed to like it earlier than other brassica blends I've tried. They began foraging on the Rape in late October.

proof of the selective browsing of different brassica forages in my plots

Old 06-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys!!! I have another question, this food plot I am talking about,I have already planted it and it looks phenominal, was I not supposed to spring plant it? Will it still be effective come fall or did I just waste my time and money??? It did not say anything about being a fall plant, so i had sewed in the spring since it also has clovers and chicory... Can this plot be mowed or do I have to do it all over again later this year!!! I appreciate all the help you guys have given me!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spring planted clover will be o.k.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

A brassica based plot will simply mature early and won't be utilized during the season like a later planting would have been. You would have had much better results planting later. Do NOT mow the plot unless you want it to die off.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks (IL Cornfed). What would be the optimal time to plant that food plot? So is this an annual or perrenial food plot? Will I have to plant it each year?

Thanks for the Instruction!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir, a brassicas based blend is an annual. Plant it every August
Old 06-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

We've had mixed results with Brassica Plots - Like Il-Cornfed said - we echo the fact that its used mostly later in the season - and thats SNOW season for us.

Here's my late July 2006planted Brassica Plot in July, Aug, Sept, Nov, Jan, and again in March &April.

7-30-06 planted

8-18-06

9-4-06

11-5-07

1-28-07

3-30-07

4-29-07