HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food plot question??????
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 07:12 AM
IL-Cornfed
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food plot question??????

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

Does anyone use rape or turnips in there plots and at what time do deer utlize it??? How well do deer like turnip greens? do they like them as well as clovers/chicory? Do have to wait until frost for deer to start to use it?????
I've had some respectable Brassica plots in the past and generally offer my deer a choice of Brassica every season. As mentioned, it is a FALL planted forage and is generally planted in Aug or early Sept. I have learned that deer on different properties may not catch on to Brassicas until after the first season or two however. Remember that Brassicas need to "frost cure" so once the temps take a dip and a few frosts collect over your plot the sugars from the bulb move upwards towards the leaves and that's when the tear will tear 'em up. Brassica plot usuage is generally for the late season and in many cases, the later the season.... the better.

Here'sone of last seasonsBio-Logic plots, loaded with Brassicas.

Here's a Tecomote Ultra Forage plot, loaded with Rape andT-Raptor (hybrid turnip). Explosive growth and the deer seemed to like it earlier than other brassica blends I've tried. They began foraging on the Rape in late October.

proof of the selective browsing of different brassica forages in my plots