Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot question????

Old 11-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default food plot question????

Hey I was wandering if anyone tried the food plot seed and if it works good and what brand do the deer seem to like the best. thanks!!!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: food plot question????

Couple times- always works great - lots of different mixes -
Lots of work though - no magic beans that I've found yet.

FH
Old 11-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do not pay big bucks for someone's deer plot food. Go the Co-Oo, buy the ingredients and mix it yourself.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok so would if I mixed like clover grass seed and a bag of deer plot seed in do you think that would work??? or what do you mix up that you found works the best???
Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st - for a 1st time plot - I wouldn't mix seeds. I'd buy a good clover seed from a reputable seed source like Biologic, Imperial Whitetail, Tecomate, etc. Plant it according to their directions - make sure you have a good, bare dirt seed bed, to start.

Don't ever mix grass in a deer plot - deer rarely eat grass - and eventually it will take over a plot.

Fight the urge to seed more than the reccomended amount.

Last - Ph,Moistureand Soil preparation are probably the 3 most important things that you need to consider. No way can you just toss out any seed mix, and expect to have a good deer plot - unless you are very lucky.

Google Search - "fooplot" or check out the articles on the QDMA website - to get started.

Good luck
FH

Old 12-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Clover does not do well in all parts of the US.In much of OK itdoes not do well. Fora spring-summer food plot in the south you cannot beat milo and peas.The peas climb the milo stalks. As soon as the milo heads mature the deer hit it.When it cools down a little there is often a second growth of milo that the deer love to eat.
Soybeans also workeer love to eat green soybean plants.

For a fall-winter feed plot oats are hard to beat in the south.Visited one of our places last evening. The deer were ignoring the neighbors wheat fields and had piled into our oats patches. The deer are there because there are very few oak trees in that area.Oats may freeze outfarther north.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

so what time should I plant this seed????
Old 12-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

"so what time should I plant this seed????"

Where are you located?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

southern Oregon
Old 12-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED southern Oregon
Almost all the different clover seed produced in the US comes from Eastern Oregon and Washinton. It is sold to companies thatcombineit into smaller bags with deer pictures on the front.

Tecomate got its seed from Barenburg(sp), then sold its seed distribution business to Barenburg(sp). Send a soil test into the state ag department asking for a fertilizer recommendation for white clover. Then lime and fertilize per the soil test.Spray roundup several times over the summer. Broadcast your seed early fall.

Quick Reply: food plot question????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.