Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to plant next to corn?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 AM

Default What to plant next to corn?

So the neighboring hobby farm planted about 10 acres of corn instead of alfalfa this year. It's been alfalfa for the past 3 years and during October, when I turn down the road nearby and my headlights shine across the field, I'll sometimes count 20-30 deer. I have no doubt that the deer will be there this year eating the corn and staying in it for cover. But what's a good compliment to the corn, something they would enjoy otherwise? Alfalfa? I normally plant some winter wheat and oats in the fall. Wondering if that will entice them this year with the corn? Thoughts? Experience?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM

Default RE: What to plant next to corn?

I think you listed the top 3 crops. But a commercial food plot blend like Biologic's Full Draw mixed with some of their Green patch plus makes a pretty good plot. I would stick clear of the wheat and focuss more on oats or hay(alfalfa).
Good Luck
Old 06-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you plant 1-2 acres? If so I'd fall plant a Winter Oats or Rye plotand overseed it with a Good White Clover mix for the next few years..

Corn Rotation is usually at least a 3 year deal.In my area - they "pick" the corn the 1st year or two - then "chop" it the next couple years as the plot levels out.

You'll want something tht stays GREEN in Oct, nov & Dec.

FH
Old 07-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, an Oat and/or wheatplantingwith perhaps abrassica blend as well, would be a great choice. Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus is super easy to plant and I couldn't believe how fast it grew last Fall for us.

This pic was taken just before November last season