Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot?? >

Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot??

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot??

Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot??

my plot is i guess very shady, as compared to il cornfeds plot, it looks to me like your plot is pretty open compared to the site i have planted last year, i am not sure, will the oats/wheat grow at this time, it is pretty dry. I have decided to plant a plot this late only if we get a substantial amount of moisture this next week. what do you all think? do i need to wait until fall to plant now????
Old 05-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

how much do you all plant in the fall compared to the spring, i wish i would've been able to plant a summer utilization (spring planting)plot, but i spent too much time turkey hunting to get it done in april. is there any other things i can do to keep the deer interested on our property over the summer?? mineral stations and feeders???
Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't plant Brassicas or Oats in the Spring. Both blends are for Fall plantings so as not to mature before the season, which is when the deer will need them the most.

Regarding mineral stations and feeders, they're certainly THE most effective ways to attract and hold deer during the off season. During the criticalsummer stress periods when Does are lactating and bucks are forming headgear they need the important vitamins and minerals that a managemnet plan can provide. It's been proven that mineral licks can attract bucks for miles and that even after disperment of yearlings bucks, certain deer have been known toremember the licks location and return every summer. The most effective foodplot during this summer stress period is protein rich clover and alfalfa, in my experience. There are certain varieties of clover that may actually do well in shade but it does sound like you really need to open up the area and trim some trees. Good luck
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used EasyPlot No Till in an area where there were a lot of pines and very shady. It came up pretty well.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Spike

I don't know where you live, but I'm in far S.W. Okla. I planted some Durana clover in a plot of mine a year or so ago (planted in the fall). The following spring, it looked prettier than anything I think I've seen. The hot sun and drought hit and it cooked. All ,that is, except the clover in the shady areas. It's still there and going great. I plan on planting some more but only in the shaded parts of my property since it seems that's the only place it can survive the kind of heat and drought we've been experiencing. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have had pretty good luck with No Plow, Throw and Go and Rackmaster Elite. With Rackmaster and clover stuff sometimes that first year is very disappointing, but the next year it can really be lush.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Plant a mixture of white clovers and you won't be disappointed...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:59 PM

I've used Green Patch Plus in our small 1/2 acre hunting plots with pretty good success, now I'm thinking of using a mix of rape,turnips, and winter wheat in 2-3 acre plots on the back sides of some of our hay fields that are already planted in an Alfalfa/Clover mix. These plots would mainly be for late season muzzle loader hunting and a nutrition boost after the rut. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Any other suggestions? Keep in mind we're in hilly, rocky south central MO.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have had some good success using imperial clover on small plots, along with a few oats and turnips as well.

The deer will keep these small ones mowed alright so no sense in mowing at all.