Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mowing my clover plot

Old 05-12-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Mowing my clover plot

I've got a clover/chicory plot that's almost one acre. Had planned on using a 60" cut zero radius mower to mow it, but that fell through. Would the deck on a plain old lawn mower go high enough to do the job? I'd hate to mow too low and burn stuff up. However, the weeds are really taking off and need to be knocked down.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mowing my clover plot

I think it would as long as you had it all the way up. I'd also suggest raking up the clippings and removing them. sometimes they will cause the plants underneath to die
Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a pull behind old Bushhog mower. It only raises to about 4" off ground.I've mowed my plot last 4yrs at least 1x, sometimes 2x's yr. and its been fine. I'd imagine you'd be ok long as keep the deck up. I think you'd be better off mowing it like that, than letting it grow so the weeds take over!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:55 AM

i wouldn't mow lower than 6"
Old 05-15-2007, 08:42 AM

Maybe you could replace existing wheels on old mower with taller ones?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 AM

I mow my plots about the first of June and again after the first of Aug. if we get enough rain. I only mow low enough to knock the blossoms off the clover, about 6'.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

I've mowed our clover plots with lawn tractors with the deck all the way up as well as with a brush hog and can't say that I saw any difference. Clover also grows real good in our yard that we mow much lower.

I also agree that you need to keep the clippings from piling up and killing what is underneath, but I have a bigger problem with this when I use the brush hog.

If the lawn tractor is all you have then it is surely better than not mowing at all. I've seen the weeds and grass completely take over some of our clover plots in only one summer when we didn't get them mowed at all.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its tough to mow clover too much or too low.

When mowing for weed control - you are mostly concerned about controlling Annual weeds - and not grasses.

If your weeds are mostly grasses - mowing can help them as much as clovers.

FH