Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot?? >

Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot??

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot??

Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot??

I have an area that has marginal sunlight that we planted last year and has had patchy results for the money we spent. I wish to replant this year in something else that is more tolerant to shade. I hear a brassica blend like a rape or turnip does well in the shade. Is this true??? Any suggestions that might save me on this area, great spot for a plot, just not much sunlight. HELP!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 AM

Default RE: Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot??

imperial secret spot only needs 3-4 hours of sun
Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

thanks, i am looking at a brassicas variety but not sure. Is it too late to plant clover, even in an area with great sunlight?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you take anything out to open it up for more light?Maybe take out a few trees?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Well, unfortunately i can't because the limbs hang over the fence from someone else's property, they are large oak limbs that span over my plot.
it gets very minimal sunlight when the forage is on.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:12 PM

In Minnesota, or at least where I'm at locally, you can cut down foilage extending over your land. Even if its coming from the neighboring property, the tree or roots that is. Would be a good idea to talk to owner first as a courtesy though.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bhunter50

I hear a brassica blend like a rape or turnip does well in the shade.
You've heard correctly. A brassica based plot will indeed do well in areas with marginal light and marginal soils.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't had much luck with brassica. I read that it takes deer about 5 years to aquire a taste for it. I'd suggest planting wheat/oats, they will grow anywhere. I plant them on my tractor trails in the woods with heavy shade and it grows fine
Old 05-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a shady spot plot that I planted in Brassica a couple years ago. This was my very first Brassica planting and I seen MANY deer utilizing this plot from early November on. In fact, I even got the chance to pass on some low end P&Y class animals throughout the season and nearly tagged a 160" buck from this same small 3/4 acre plot!This variety is the Tecomote Ultra Forage and I found that with it's differentspecies maturing at different rates, there always seemed to be something attractive for the deer. They really hammered the Rape from late October on!

Here's a close-up of the selective Rape utilization early on in the plot. Notice how they ate these individual plants nearly to the ground as the others were left alone.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, wheat and/or Oats would be anotheroption. However,for whatever reason, our local deer just don't seem to be that attracted to them??? I had a Forgae Oats plot last season and the deer just didn't seem that interested until about the time the snow started falling. Perhaps they just need to get used to it more?

Quick Reply: Shady Area Suggestions 4 Food Plot??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.